Showing posts with label time to make a move. Show all posts
Showing posts with label time to make a move. Show all posts

Monday, February 9, 2009

Time To Make A Road Trip...!

Here's the thing...

I've been watching all that's going on in the world and in the US for a while now. I don't see things really getting any better, or at least if they get better it will be for a short term only. Now, that's just my opinion...so take it for what it's worth.

However, one thing is for certain! I do NOT want to stay in Houston or any other big city any longer than I have to, so....I am taking a road trip real soon to see where I am going to relocate to.

I am more fortunate than some, in that I actually have a choice of three pieces of property at my disposal right now. Two in the Ozarks and one in the Chihuahuan desert in West Texas, around the Big Bend area. Sizes range from 2.5 acres, 5 acres, and 6.6 acres...with the 5 acres being in West Texas. Each parcel is raw land, with no improvements. That is OK with me...

What I intend to do is to take a road trip and look over all the spots, weigh the pros and cons of each, then decide where to move to. I am getting the truck ready as I told you a couple of post back, to go on an extended trip. Gotta have it checked out from head to toe, front to back. I'm pretty sure it's up to the trip, but no point in taking any chances of something breaking down because I was too stupid to have it checked, ya know?

My truck, a 1991 Chevy S10, extended cab, has a camper shell on it, so I will have plenty of cover once I get to the land in case of bad weather or pesky critters. I'll just treat it as an extended camping trip, and being as how I'm retired and single...I don't have to follow anyone Else's time schedule. Nice!

Recent events here in town, which I won't go into right now, have made me decide that now is the time to go. After I decide where I am headed, it's back to Houston to load up and then AMF...if you get my drift.

The nephew and I were discussing the possibility of prefabbing a cabin here in Houston, then taking it down and rebuilding it at the chosen spot. I'm starting small, but after all, how much room does one man need? By doing that, we can do away with waiting on getting a reasonable travel trailer or something to stay in while building.

I figure by prefabbing the whole thing, I can rebuild the shell in 2 or 3 days myself, then live in it while I take my time with the inside...and once again, I can stay in the camper shell set-up while I rebuild the cabin.

I think this is a good way for me to put off going any longer than I have to. I'll be taking with me a good supply of food and other preps to cover me for at least 6 months to a year, so I'm good on that part. I'm sure that somethings will come up, they always do. But at least now I have a workable plan! At least I can get off my ass and take action...I don't feel safe enough to put it off any longer!

I hope I'm wrong, but my Daddy always used to say "Better safe than sorry!" I think that is good advice...and I'm taking it.

Now, how about a fresh cup of hot coffee, my friend?