Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Have You Seen The Missing Lake...?

I have a feeling that maybe I should have saved this one for a Monday mystery, but it was too good to keep quiet about!

I have to admit that this one goes way beyond the boundary of strange and is definitely something worth looking into! Since most of my readers seem to like the stories that are, shall we say, different...I figured this article from Listverse would be a good read!

Disappearing Lake



On May 2007, a lake in Patagonia, Chile, literally disappeared, leaving behind a 30 meter deep pit, icebergs and dry soil. However, this wasn’t a small lake or pond – it was an astonishing 5 miles long! The last time geologists saw the lake in March 2007, they detected nothing strange about it. However, something happened during the 2 month span that not only caused the lake to vanish, but reduced a river that flowed from the lake to a tiny stream. Geologists were puzzled as to why a lake of that size would simply cease to exist. Perhaps, they suggested, an earthquake drained the lake, yet there were no reports of any quakes in that particular area during spring. Meanwhile, UFO enthusiasts concluded that a spaceship drained the lake. The mystery is unsolved to this day.

I'll admit that I'm getting hooked on these mysteries, ya know? At least I figure there's enough to last for a long, long time!

Coffee out on the patio this morning. Let's share some marble cream cake!

12 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

Did I hear the barely perceptible sound of the theme to "Twilight Zone?"

HermitJim said...

Hey Gorges...
Is that what that music is? Thought I heard something!

Thanks for the visit this morning!

Chickenmom said...

A gigantic sink hole? Maybe they can figure it it out by looking at satellite pictures of the area. I'll take two slices of the marble cream cake!

Sixbears said...

Just a giant UFO refilling its water supply. See, there are often reasonable explanations.

Coffee on the deck this morning, if the thunderstorms hold off for a bit.

Mamahen said...

Wow! Just WOW! I wonder if there are any other such events in other parts of the world. Certainly something to ponder. Better stick to tea this morning. But marble cream cake sounds yummy. Thanks for the invite!

Momlady said...

I agree with Sixbears.

linda m said...

I will have to go along with the UFO theory. I saw this one on the TV and no one can figure it out. But a lot of the people were leaning towards aliens. "Twilight Zone" fits this one perfectly. Marble cream cake sounds good, save me a piece.

JO said...

You always come up with these great mysteries. And this is great. Love mysteries myself.

Marble cream cake, don't think I ever had any so I guess this morning is as good a time to taste as ever.

HermitJim said...

Hey Phyllis...
Something to consider, that's for sure!

Thanks for dropping by this morning!



Hey Sixbears...
Makes more sense than anything else! Case solved!

Thanks for coming over today!



Hey Mamahen...
I'll bet that more than one lake has disappeared in the past!

Hey, I appreciate the visit today!



Hey Momlady...
I'm sorta leaning toward that myself!

Thanks for coming over today!



Hey Linda...
It is really a mysterious event, without a doubt!

Don't worry, I'll save you a piece!

Thanks for dropping by today!



Hey Jo...
See? You never know what the Hermit has in store!

Thanks, sweetie, for the visit this morning!

Anonymous said...

Yes definitely a UFO that drained that lake :-)

I think I've read about that lake before and it seems they still have no idea about where the water went.

Have a great day!
Christer.

HermitJim said...

Hey Crister...
Does give one a lot to think about, doesn't it?

Hey, I appreciate you coming over this afternoon!

Rob said...

I hate to jump in with a 'me too' but the UFO was my first thought... unless someone figured a way to sell to an unnamed desert city?
(Pisst... over here...wanna buy some fresh water?)