Friday, April 24, 2015

The Death Valley Runner For Freaky Friday...!

I have to ask myself why anyone would want to do this. My answer...because they could!

The freaky part comes from the idea that someone, reportedly of sound mind, wanted to run across Death Valley...in costume! To me that's just plain freaky!

The Darth Valley Run



In 2010, a 42-year-old man named Jonathan Rice decided for no particular reason that he wanted to run a mile through Death Valley on the hottest day of the year wearing a Darth Vader outfit. So that’s exactly what he did, managing an impressive time of 6 minutes and 13 seconds.

The following year, again for no particular reason, Rice decided to do it once more. Then again in 2013, making a slightly slower time of 6 minutes 31 seconds due to an ankle injury. What initially started out as some guy doing something just for the hell of it exploded when the international media caught wind of the fact that, in 2013, Jon may just have run the fastest and hottest mile ever recorded—dressed as Darth Vader! But that’s not all. Soon after he ran his mile in 2013, it came to light that he’d run the distance while enduring 54 degrees Celsius (129.2 °F) of heat, a temperature that was only 2 degrees off of the supposed hottest temperature ever recorded on Earth.

So, the next time you don’t feel like exercising, just remember that a 40-year-old man ran a mile in just over six-and-a-half minutes on literally one of the hottest days ever recorded—dressed in a Darth Vader costume. Then, you should have all of the motivation you need to go for that jog

Now don't get me wrong. I admire the guy for following his dreams, but it certainly wouldn't be a dream of mine. But...as they say, to each his own! Thanks to Listverse for this article.

Coffee out on the patio today. Let's have some cinnamon toast!

6 comments:

Mamahen said...

Well,,,, God Bless him is all I can say to that lol :))

Chickenmom said...

The Force was with him!

linda m said...

That is not a dream of mine either. In fact when it is very hot here I won't even go for my daily walk. Dying from heat stroke is not my idea of how to die. More power to him if that is how he wants to die. Have a great weekend.

JO said...

I'm not ready for any running in the desert especially wearing a black costume
but like you said different strokes for different folks. I'm happy going to exercise class 3 times a week in a air conditioned room.

HermitJim said...

Hey Mamahen...
He could probably use the blessing, I think.

Thanks for stopping by today!



Hey Phyllis...
I reckon it had to be!

Many thanks for stopping by today!



Hey Linda M...
Bet this guy doesn't have a problem with his weight. No fat!

Thanks for the visit today!



Hey Jo...
Doesn't sound like a fun thing to do to me. I like your idea better!

Thanks for thew visit, sweetie.

Dizzy-Dick said...

Dang Jim, I don't even like to walk fast.