Monday, March 11, 2019

Who Built This Thing...?

I think it's great that we have some actual mysterious ruins here in the states that we can study on, without having to travel all the way to some foreign country. Of course, that doesn't mean we understand what they are, or who built them. I reckon that's the reason those ruins are considered a mystery, right?

America’s Stonehenge



Photo credit: User: (WT-shared) Jtesla16 at wts wikivoyage

Outside of Salem, New Hampshire, lies the ruins of what some believe to be an ancient settlement. Known today as America’s Stonehenge, the site is made up of numerous man-made stone chambers, walls, and other rock structures.

The site has sparked a series of heated debates among historians and archaeologists as to the origins and use of the complex. The most prominent theory is that it was built by Native Americans some 2,500 years ago and was used for centuries as a place for religious ceremony. Another popular theory suggests that the structures were created and used by Irish monks around AD 1000.

I found this interesting article over on Listverse, needless to say.

Coffee out on the patio this morning, if it's not too wet.

9 comments:

linda m said...

That is a most unusual structure. Great mystery. Coffee on the patio sounds great. I have a coffee cake I will be glad to share.

HermitJim said...

Hey Linda...
It looks very interesting from where I sit. Please...I'll take some coffee cake!
Thanks for stopping by today!

JO said...

I have never heard of this before very interesting. Going to have to investigate this a little further.

Patio and coffee and coffee cake you bet I'm on my way

Rob said...

I went to the website.. Phoenician inscriptions? Coffee outside sounds great!

Dizzy-Dick said...

That structure looks very well built. They knew what they were doing.

Bob said...

I've visited that place almost 40 ears ago. They also had huge stone slabs where supposedly they did human sacrifices. Just thought I would add that tidbit in case your article didn't go to the dark side.

Bob said...

Make that years not ears please.

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
It really isn't that far away.
Thanks, dear, for dropping by this morning!


Hey Rob...
Sounds like an interesting place, doesn't it?
Thanks for coming over this morning!


Hey Dizzy...
For it's age, it does seem well built. Can't help but wonder who built it?
Thanks for the visit this morning!

Hermit's Baby Sis said...

Looks like that site we visited in Ireland, but who knows.
Thanks for another interesting post, Bubba.