Friday, September 9, 2011

All About Yesterday's Circus...!


I must be getting old!

I can remember when days like yesterday weren't much of a problem. I more or less just took them in stride, and most of the time I try to do that now days.

I should have known things were going to go south when I started to go to the store and couldn't find my wallet! Wasn't where I normally keep it and that's pretty strange. Since I live alone, I couldn't blame it on anyone else (except maybe the cat!) but he doesn't drive!

Only thing I could think of was that I must have left in at the store the day before. So, I took off and went to all of the four stores in my neighborhood that I might have been in. No luck!

Back home, I checked in all the places I could even imagine losing the wallet, even checking in Mom's house and car! Again...no luck! I was getting madder and more frustrated with each passing minute, let me tell you!

One last thought led me to a pair of pants I hadn't worn in a year until the day before. They weren't comfortable, so I only wore them to the store then hung them back up! Just in passing, I checked them and BINGO! There was my wallet, right where I had left it the day before! Old age, I guess!

While celebrating the finding of my wallet, I realized I hadn't posted yesterdays post, and as I went to do that I had no internet! I knew right away what the problem was, as the modem started acting funny last week. Just to be sure, I went through all the usual rituals to try and reboot it, but it was GONE! By gone, I mean it had crapped out for good! Belly up! Died! KAPUT!

Rather than waste any more time, I got my newly found wallet, loaded up the modem in the car and took off for the local Comcast office! I've been there many times before, so I knew just where it was. 25 minutes later, I realized I was almost at my mechanic's garage and not at the Comcast office (which was about 10 miles in the opposite direction)! Turning around, I finally made it back to Comcast! I had to stand in line for around 30 minutes. This is NOT my favorite way to waste my time, but it beats waiting almost 2 weeks for a repairman to come out and replace the modem!

When I finally made my way to the counter, the clerk took one look at my modem and said "this one is so old, we don't have this one any more!" She went to the back and came out with a modem twice as big, and said it would work! Then she said it would be simple to install myself and handed me a four page booklet with instructions on how to install it.

This new modem is a replacement for the old modem, my router, the whole bit! Plus it's wireless! My old one wasn't! This meant I had to go back and reconfigure my security and internet connection settings! Another fun way to spend a couple of hours!

Being self taught on the computer, I don't work as fast as some folks do, but somehow I seem to finally get the job done! Which is what I did, so here I am! Boy, I'm glad that's all over with! At least for now!

Let me take a minute here to say "HOWDY!" to the new followers that joined our family in the past few days! I appreciate all my followers and the readers that come by, even if they don't sign up as followers! Having new folks drop by is always a nice feeling to me! I really appreciate all the visitors I get, I really do!

Now, how about some fresh coffee on the patio? Still pretty cool in the mornings, but warm in the afternoon! By warm, I mean in the low 90s!

19 comments:

HoboJoe said...

Howdy HermitJim, I've been following along for a quite a while, but just joined up yesterday. I like your posts, read em' every day.

Trailshome said...

Glad to know it was just one of those days, tough, but you can get through it. Missed you yesterday. you're the first blog I read every morning, and the day just wasn't right without your special take on things. Thanks for being so regular.

And....didn't your Mama say there'd be days like that? Mine did. And she was right.

sel said...

Today will be good, today will be good. Just keep saying it. Who knows it may work. Have a wonderful day.

Anonymous said...

You earned yourself a break, sounds like a hectic day. Your lost wallet reminded me of one of my CRS episodes when I lost my car keys. I looked EVERYWHERE for an hour, until I tried trying my left hip pocket - there they were. I'm not a lefty and I NEVER put anything in that pocket EVER - still shaking my head over that one.

JoJo said...

Sure happy one of us has worked out the computer bugs. I never had so much trouble with a new computer before. Oh well I had lots of bloggers willing to talk me thru this mess. I might have to take them up on it soon.

In a better not it is 57 degrees this morning and I am loving it.
Love to share some coffee with you its been awhile.

Felinae said...

I missed you yesterday. Glad you got everything up and running again. I may not always comment, but I read you every morning, you're my first stop. :)

Have a good day, Uncle Hermit.
Hugs~Fel~

HermitJim said...

Hey Hobojoe...
Always glad to have you stop by for a read and a cup!

Welcome to ya! Glad you find enough to keep you interested and I appreciate the visit this morning!


Hey Trailshome...
Good morning to ya, my friend!

Ya know...I think Mama did say something about days like this last one. Trouble is, I don't think she mentioned there would be so many of them!

Your visit is sure appreciated this morning!


Hey Sel...
I'm certainly willing to try it! The way I figure, it never hurts to try something new!

Many thanks for coming over this morning!


Hey Anon 7:43...
Sure is aggravating when something like that happens, isn't it?

Glad I got the modem replaced, glad you found your keys, and really glad the weather is a little cooler! Now if we could borrow some rain!

You have a great day and thanks for coming by today!


Hey JoJo...
I'd be willing to bet that someone knows just how to fix your problem! Try ol' Ben! He is pretty sharp about those 'puter problems a lot of the time!

Sounds like the weather is doing good by you! That's great!

Thanks, sweetie, for coming over this morning!

HermitJim said...

Hey Felinae...
My good friend! Always a true pleasure to see you!

You know that your visit always means a lot to the old Hermit!

Thanks my feline friend, for coming by today!

Ben in Texas said...

Yep, Hermit, you suffered an Old Farts day losing your wallet. :-)

I'm glad you got a new "modem" thinigie for your internet. I'll keep that trick you used in mind and just haul mine to the AT&T store and let them screw with it. Not going to pay a Geek to come fool with it.

HermitJim said...

Hey Ben...
I'm thinking that one a year is plenty for me! Can't stand too many more like that!

Hey, buddy...if you feel like it, JoJo is having some trouble trying to fix up her new laptop! You might be able to give her some pointers!

You can reach her at jo_harmon_147@q.com.

Thanks, buddy, for coming over today!

TROUBLEnTX said...

Ur always a good read, missed u when u were down. Yep, it's good to be able to fix ur own things on these puters. Time's worth it. Keep em coming!

Anonymous said...

I read your blog daily, I set a pair of scissors away someplace in our tiny home, yep, could not find it for a project I needed, they were setting right where I put them in the top of our freezer unit in our 32 1/2 year old fridge no worse the wear, I am buying myself these yarn thingies and tie my scissors to them to always have them near when I do craft, cut coupons, no more in the freezer unit..I felt so dumb until my neighbor locked herself out of her house, I have a spare key, never used it in 33 years and glad I could help her out, in the front doorway on a table lay her house keys..from age comes wisdom, just takes a little longer to remember that wisdom lol..have a great day, have a cuppa on me!mjs...

Kyddryn said...

Well rehi, Mister Hermit, sir! Glad you got back into the Blue Nowhere.

Here at Casa de Crazy, things relocate themselves all the time - usually to a place we just thoroughly looked for them. Dang fairies.

Drives Someone nuts. Whoof, who taught him some of those words???

You take care...

Shade and Sweetwater,
K

Anonymous said...

Sorry Jim but I couldn´t but laugh a bit while reading this :-) I´ve been there and done that :-) :-) :-)

My modem is giving up too but it is just to far to get to the service store and they won´t send one by mail either. So I´ve taken the decisiuon to just buy a new one in the closest store. The easiest and cheapest thing to do I´m afraid.

Have a great day my friend!
Christer.

HermitJim said...

Hey Trouble...
I've never been too good at waiting! But then, I'm a Scorpio! Maybe that's the reason!

Hopefully, all is well for a long time now!

Thanks for coming by today!


Hey Anon 7:36...
I certainly have plenty of extra yarn if you want some!

I've found myself starting to put things in the fridge so many times, I can't count them all!

I'd like to think I'm getting wiser, but my actions have me wondering!

Thanks for coming by today!


Hey K...
Don't blame me for the color in Someones vocabulary! I didn't do it, honest! (at least, not on purpose)

Yep, it's good to be back on the air again, even if I don't have anything to say!

You have a great day...and thanks for dropping in!


Hey Christer...
Seems like all of us have been touched by the same "forgetful" bug from time to time!

Glad it made you grin...that's the best thing to do! We have to grin at it the next day or feel really silly! I'd rather grin about it!

Thanks, my friend, for coming by today!

Phyllis (N/W Jersey) said...

Glad you are back - I missed you. We all have those senior moments - spend half a day once looking for my glasses....Hubby was laughing ... they were on top of my head! It's funny now, but it wasn't then!
I'll take a little bit of milk and sugar in the coffee, please!

chinasyndrome said...

Glad all is well! I wondered what had happened,as I read ya before I go to work.We all have those moments and days. I no longer wear a watch just use cell ph,heck its always on me.Anyway I was talking to one buddy on my cell we were all trying to time lunch together,I said what time is it,he said I don't know I reached in my pocket to check time on cell ph and started to freak out telling my buddy on ph I can't find my ph the buddy standing beside me laughs and points at my ear. Oh well we all do it!

China
III

HermitJim said...

Hey Phyllis...
Guess the hubby still gets a giggle out of this, huh?

Glad to know I'm not alone!

Have a great day and thanks for coming by today!


Hey China...
Just a little embarrassing, isn't it?

At least it was easy to find!

Thanks, buddy, for coming by today!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hey HermitJim, I can relate cause similar things have happened, but latest "issue" is remembering whether or not I locked the car when leaving it to go somplace. Can't tell you the number of times I've gone to recheck it and yup it was locked. Glad all turned out well, but my 90s is a tad warm for coffee outdoors.