Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Idiots With Guns...!

It never ceases to amaze me at how stupid some folks can be about the proper handling of guns.

This couple could use some very basic education in safety around the home as well! Looks like it's time to add a little more chlorine to the gene pool!

Kalispell couple thankful to have escaped blast

Associated Press | Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:16 pm |

Fire officials in Kalispell are investigating whether a stray bullet accidentally fired from a new hunting rifle may have struck a natural gas line, eventually leading to an explosion that destroyed a house over the weekend.

No matter the cause, Art and Diane Wright feel very fortunate they were not home at the time of Saturday's blast.

Art Wright told the Daily Inter Lake ( he was familiarizing himself with the rifle at about 5:45 a.m. Saturday when he accidentally fired it into the floor of his house.

Kalispell Fire Chief Dave Dedman said until investigators find the natural gas pipe, he can't say if the bullet punctured it. But he says it's possible.

Diane Wright said after her husband left to go hunting she smelled an odor, but thought it was from the gun. She took a shower and then left the house to run some errands.

She's convinced an unplanned stop at the grocery store saved her.

"If I had been home instead of going to the grocery store, I would have opened the door," she said, adding that a firefighter told her that action alone could have set off an explosion.

"If she had turned a light switch on, it could have been a whole different story," Dedman said.

The couple was able to recover some tools from the garage "and some of my jewelry blew up onto the roof of a neighbor's house, oddly enough, so we were able to get to that," Diane Wright said.

Neighbors the Wrights didn't even know offered to let them house-sit their home while the homeowners are out of state.

Information from: Daily Inter Lake,

I'm thinking these people certainly had an angel looking out for them on this day!

Let's have some fresh coffee on the patio this morning!


Sixbears said...

Sometimes the good lord protects fools and idiots. I'm not knocking it, as everyone is a fool or an idiot sometime.

However, accidental discharge of gun in a house is pretty hard to forgive. It did cost them their house. Luckily, not their lives.

linda m said...

Dumb!!! They sure were lucky!

Ben in Texas said...

I wonder if maybe there shouldn't be an IQ test just to see if you smart enough to own and operate a fire arm..
Dumb!! But my uncle shot a hole in his kitchen floor once.

HermitJim said...

Hey Sixbears...
It's a good thing that someone is looking out for folks like this, as they would surely blow themselves up without some kind of help!

We all do make some dumb mistakes, but this one takes the cake! The string of events all yell stupid!

Thanks for coming by today!

Hey Linda...
Lucky is right! Hope they remember to say "thank you" in their prayers tonight!

Thanks for dropping by today!

Hey Ben...
Ought to be some sort of test, that's for sure!

Accidents happen to us all, and at least no one was killed this time!

I know I don't want to go hunting with this man!

Thanks, buddy, for coming by today!

JoJo said...

OK, stupid + gun = no house
I think Ben is right test these fools first. I know someone who shouldn't own guns and don't even know why she has them. Shot off a round while checking out the gun went threw the kitchen cabinets and into the bathroom. Thought it was empty. Anybody ever hear that story before.

I'm ready for a refill. Thank You

HermitJim said...

Hey JoJo...
Best advice I ever heard about guns was a man that said " always think that every gun is loaded, and never point one at something unless you want to destroy it!"

Sometimes you just can't fix stupid!

Thanks, sweetie, for coming over today!

TROUBLEnTX said...

"Empty" guns kill people.

Bob from Athens said...

Well unfortunately if anyone even came close to officially suggesting that testing or certifing our competency to own any firearm the nra would have a major hissy fit. So apparently we have to take the bad along with the good.

Bob Mc said...

Guns and stupid are a bad combination.

That aside, natural gas can be dangerous. I know a fellow who was badly burned from just such an explosion. He came home from somewhere and entered his garage, where there was an unknown gas leak. Before he had a chance to smell the gas, he atomatically switched on the light. The place went up like a bomb! He spent several months in a hospital in the burn center. They wouldn't even allow a mirror in his room for a long time. Several operations later he still has obvious scars.

HermitJim said...

Hey Trouble...
That they do, my friend, that they do!

Thanks for the visit.

Hey Bob...
I guess we can count ourselves lucky that we have more good than bad...and then be careful who we chose as hunting partners!

Have a great day and thanks for coming by!

Hey Bob Mc...
Glad your friend managed to live through the explosion! So many folks Don't.

I can only imagine the pain associated with a major burn. Even a small one hurts me enough.

Thanks for coming by today, my friend!

Snowbrush said...

That's a good one!