Saturday, June 11, 2016

You Want It Rare...?

Here are a few interesting facts about food you may enjoy . Then to, you may not ! Who knows...?

Bloody Meat



The blood you see oozing from a rare or medium steak is not actually blood – by the time meat arrives in a restaurant for cooking most of the blood has been removed. The red stuff you see is actually water and a protein called myoglobin. It is the quantity of myoglobin in meat that determines whether it is white or red – the less myoglobin the lighter the meat. Chemical changes in myoglobin over time are what cause red meat to darken with age – hence an almost black “aged” steak.

Interesting Fact: Crabs have blue blood, worms and leaches have green blood, and starfish have clear or yellow blood. Also, humans do not have blue blood – it is always red (though the darkness level varies). Veins are blue because of the interaction of light on our skin and the depth of the veins. 

I found this article over at Listverse. I hate to admit it, but that steak looks pretty good to me !

Coffee out on the patio again .

6 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

Interesting!

Chickenmom said...

Cannot eat under cooked meat at all.

Sixbears said...

As long as it's had a chance to stop twitching it's cooked well enough for me. That is, if the quality is good.

A couple of fried eggs and some hashbrowns would go great with that steak.

Today it's dark roasted coffee on a cool northern morning. The steak will have to wait for another morning.

HermitJim said...

Hey Gorges...
Glad you found it interesting, my friend.
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Phyllis...
Many people are the same way. Rare is just not their liking.
Thanks for coming by thiws morning!


Hey Sixbears...
Sounds like my kind of breakfast. Makes my mouth water!
Thanks for the visit today!

JO said...

Well there is just another thing I have learned here today about the colors of blood. But yes that steak looks sooo good and I'm not a big beef eater.

Had a really good rain yesterday late afternoon. I'm ready for some good coffee.

Dizzy-Dick said...

Just leave my steak cook long enough so it is not cold. Rare to medium rare is the way I like mine.