Monday, August 1, 2016

Strange Spider For Monday Mysteries...!

Nature has a way of sometimes showing us just how much we still have to learn.

Not many creatures are as mysterious as the spider. Seems as though the more we learn about them, the more questions remain!

Blue Tarantulas



There are more than 850 documented tarantula species in the world. Some are as big as the human face while others are capable of shooting excrement as a defense mechanism. Then there are those that are, for some unknown reason, bright blue in color.

Experts suspect that the blue color serves an important purpose. However, “they don’t know what that [specific] function is yet.” The most plausible hypothesis has to do with sexual selection.

Scientists surmise that the flashy color helps tarantulas attract potential mates. However, Bor-Kai Hsiung of the University of Akron points out that this hypothesis is unlikely to be true since, despite the fact that tarantulas have eight eyes, they have very poor eyesight.

Blue spiders? I thought they were ugly enough being brown or black or yellow. Being blue really doesn't make them any prettier in my eyes, ya know what I mean?

Coffee out on the patio once more.

6 comments:

Chickenmom said...

EECK!

linda m said...

I am not a fan of spiders, however, I must admit I really like this one. That is such a pretty color of blue. They say the Tarantula makes a very nice pet. Think I would rather have a dog or a cat.

HermitJim said...

Hey Phyllis...
That about says it all!
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Linda...
I'm certainly not keeping one as a pet!
Thanks for coming over today!

JO said...

Well he sure is pretty. But as a pet no thanks no matter how helpful they are with keeping down the rest of the unwanted pests. One of the places I owned had lots of scorpians and they kill them and eat them.

We have been having some crazy storms every evening well into the night. Your patio probably is dryer than my porch

Dizzy-Dick said...

Hey Hermit, that would make a great pet for you. Just think, then it would sit on your chest in the morning, staring at you face, waiting for you to wake up. Thin about that when you go to bed tonight and that sleeping people swallow lots of bugs, so they say. I guess if you swallow enough of them through the night, you would not need to eat any breakfast. Have I made you sick yet?? Hope not.

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
I don't want either one as a pet, thank you!
We get some showers nearly every day in the afternoon, but no storms. Just makes it more muggy.
Thanks for dropping by today!


Hey Dizzy...
If it's all the same to you, I'll pass. Don't need one as a pet. I'd rather sleep alone, I reckon!
Thanks for coming over today!