Saturday, October 1, 2016

The Spanking Squad...!

Sounds like a bad joke or maybe a crazy parent, doesn't it?

It actually was an invention of the mayor of a small town in New Jersey, and was used to discipline certain children. I have to believe it was done with the blessing of the parents, but the whole thing sounds gruesome to me.

The Spanking Squad



Photo credit: New York Tribune

Spanking children isn’t the disciplinary measure it used to be. One New Jersey mayor was such a fan that he organized a special spanking squad for young criminal offenders.

Arthur C. Whitaker was mayor of Bridgeton, New Jersey, during the 1910s. He had an automated spanking machine installed at City Hall and sentenced young offenders to it instead of sending them to reformatory schools. Once he passed down sentence, the squad would carry it out. They could regulate the duration and intensity of the spanking based on the harshness of the crime.

According to Whitaker, over 100 boys and a few girls faced the machine during his seven years in office. He labeled the experiment a success, with parents even voluntarily bringing children to him when they misbehaved. Despite this, Whitaker still saw it fit to keep the device a secret while it was in operation.

I was always under the impression that the parents should take care of that sort of thing at home. I certainly don't see any way I would trust the spanking of a child to the mercy of any government agency or their Spanking Machine!

Coffee out on the patio this morning.

3 comments:

Momlady said...

There was a program on TV called The principal's office. He had a paddle with which to spank students who misbehaved. Students had the choice of getting spanked on Friday afternoon or coming in for detention on Saturday from 8 - 12. The majority chose the spanking! I don't remember him whopping them too many times and they kept their britches on. Seeing the shenanigans kids are getting away with these days I think some of them could use a good spanking.

JO said...

Well that sounds a little harsh. But like Momlady said some of these kids today could use a good spanking but the parents need to do something about it. Of course with all this child abuse crap going on is what produced most of these illmannered kids today.

I'll have a refill please

HermitJim said...

Hey Momlady...
I was on the receiving end of a few spankings when I was younger, and I don't think it caused me any lasting harm. Truth be told, I was due the ones I got.
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Jo...
Spanking is a firm way of disciplining a child for wrong doing, but never should be done in anger. Just my thought.
Thanks for dropping by today, sweetie!