Friday, October 26, 2018

You Gonna Eat That...?

Everyone that has read this blog for long knows about my love for peanut butter, right ? However, there are limits to nearly anything, and this sandwich combination might have found mine.

Peanut Butter & Mayonnaise Sandwich

Now largely forgotten, the pairing was once as popular as PB&J.


During the Great Depression, people valued high-calorie combinations of protein and fat. Meat and dairy were costly, and consuming enough energy could prove challenging. Enter peanut butter and mayonnaise on white bread. The combination became a staple in Southern households in the United States and, in some regions, it was as ubiquitous as peanut butter and jelly. For the next 30 years or so, the PB&M was a favorite in many American kitchens, perhaps because adding mayonnaise to the era’s rustic, coarse nut butter may have been key for spreadability. Newspapers from the 1940s in Salt Lake City, Utah, and Troy, New York, both advised adding mayonnaise to “moisten” or “thin” peanut butter before adding bacon or shredded American cheese.

In the 1960s, Hellman’s Mayonnaise debuted an advertisement suggesting fun ways to spice up the basic peanut butter & mayo sandwich. To make a “Double Crunch,” one simply added bacon and pickles. A “Funny Face” called for raisins and carrots (and some degree of artistic capability). The “Apple Fandango” featured sliced apples and marmalade, while the “Crazy Combo”—you’ve been warned—included salami, sliced eggs, and onions.

Today, a seemingly limitless array of sandwich ingredients are affordable, but peanut butter and mayonnaise remain a beloved combination among the many Americans who grew up eating them. It also continues to maintain standing as one of the cheapest, highest-calorie pairings out there (one tablespoon of either condiment contains about 100 calories). But while famished people struggling through the Great Depression replenished themselves with the dense snack, for 21st-century Americans, the combo of the two, gooey spreads is more likely to inspire a midday nap.


Believe it or not, I used to work with a guy that had a pb&m every day for lunch. At the time, I thought he was crazy, but now I see where he got the idea. One of these days I might have to try it myself. BTW, I got this from a site called Atlas Obscura.

Coffee out on the patio this morning!

10 comments:

Mamahen said...

If I remember correctly I seem to remember someone saying that Elvis had a passion for grilled pb and banana w/mayo sandwiches. I like pb and banana but not grilled n no mayo. I also like pb and dill pickle sandwiches:))

Momlady said...

Add Fluffernutter to the list. Peanut butter and marshmallow fluff (or whatever it's called these days).

linda m said...

Mayo with peanut butter still is a real turn off for me. Jus plain pb& J for me.

riverrider said...

ate pb and mayo all the time as a kid. still will with banana or a slice of cheddar. yummy.

HermitJim said...

Hey Mamahen...
I think that Elvis liked pretty much all food. PB and dill pickle is a new one on me!
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Momlady...
Now that's another new one, but that doesn't mean it's not good!
Thanks for coming by this morning!


Hey Riverrider...
I wonder why I never tried some of these before? I like all kinds of sandwiches as a rule.
Thanks for the visit this morning!

Rob said...

I had never heard of that sandwich before... I'm not impressed with the concept.

HermitJim said...

Hey Rob...
It is a little hard to wrap the idea around this combo, I guess...especially if you haven't tried it before.
Thanks for the visit this morning!

JO said...

Not for me thank you very much, don't care much for Mayo unless it is chicken or egg salad. I like my peanut butter straight or with a little jam or if I have one a banana.

Early groomer appt. for Fred so I will have a quick cup with you on the patio

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
I like mayo, but would rather have my pb with something like honey or jelly.
Many thanks for dropping in today!

Dizzy-Dick said...

My favorite when I was a kid was peanut butter and sweet pickles. That was real gooooood. BTW, I used to raise my own peanuts. Don't eat peanut anymore. Now I buy almond butter. Almonds are real nuts, peanuts are legumes that grow underground.