Friday, February 8, 2019

Another Totally Gross Food...!

I'm not even sure that this next item can even be classified as a food, although I'm sure many folks would do just that. They would say "it's strange, but it's still food!" I might have to disagree, though.

Balut



So it’s a hard-boiled egg. What’s weird about that?

Think again because lurking beneath the innocent-looking shell is a tiny duck fetus that’s been boiled alive. Nice. To make it, fertilized duck eggs are incubated for up to 20 days and then cooked to create this gruesome delight.

Eating the balut is an involved process. Crack it open, and you’ll see a tasty broth. It’s here where sensible people stop while the fearless go full throttle for that embryotic goodness.

Take a trip to the Philippines, and you can casually devour this delicacy with a beer. But let’s be honest. It’s going to take more than that to wash this fowl dish down!

I'm afraid I would need to be very, very drunk before I tried to eat something like this...know what I mean? BTW, these tasty morsels came from the folks over at Listverse, so don't blame me.

Coffee inside once again today. The cold weather is back.

7 comments:

Mamahen said...

I have heard of these before, but sure never had any desire to try one. Kitchen sounds good. Colder here this a.m. also and predicted to get down into the teens tonight. I have a new recipe for nobake cherry cheese cake I want to try. Anyone want to try some:))

linda m said...

That made me sick to my stomach just looking at it. No way could I ever eat something that gross.. Very cold again here with minus 15 wind chill. Coffee in the kitchen sound great. Yes, Mamahen , I would love to try some of your cheer cake. Have a great weekend.

Rob said...

In the Coast Guard a number of people had bent time in the PI and they all had stories about Balut.
Not me I'm thinking!

HermitJim said...

Hey Mamahen...
I do love me some cheese cake! Yes, I would love some.
Thanks for stopping by this morning!


Hey Linda...
I had pretty much the same reaction.
Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Rob...
One thing about being in a foreign port, you have the opportunity to try different foods, if you want.
Thanks for the visit this morning!

JO said...

No I don't think so.

Today is a day to Celebrate Fridlieb Ferdinand Runge the man responsible for coffee! So lets all salute him with a nice hot cup of coffee on this cold morning and of course with a slice of cherry cheese cake from Mamahen.

Dizzy-Dick said...

And those of the Hindu religion think we are bad for eating beef.

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
I'll certainly go along with that.
Many thanks for dropping by today, dear!


Hey Dizzy...
Reckon this might change their mind a bit?
Thanks for the visit this morning!