Thursday, February 21, 2019

Check Out This Burger Recipe...!

One of my all-time favorite meals is a great big juicy ol' hamburger. I haven't had one in a while and this article from AtlasObscura reminded me of that fact. I'm just crazy enough to think that I would like to try this burger, ya know?

Guberburger

A now-shuttered Missouri drive-in brought local acclaim to patties topped in peanut butter.



One small drive-in burger joint in the city of Sedalia, Missouri, introduced fast-food fans to a peanut butter–slathered hamburger known as the Guberburger. The Wheel Inn, about an hour-and-a-half drive from Kansas City, attracted customers with their well-loved patties, the most unique of which featured peanut butter, mayonnaise, lettuce, and tomato as its signature toppings. Hungry drivers pulled up for roadside service from the 1940s until 2007, when a highway expansion project compromised the building.

A former employee took the initiative to reopen The Wheel Inn in a new location, extending the guberburger’s life for a few more good years. Unfortunately, the second location shuttered in 2013. Even though the original location and the business behind the guberburger are gone, other local joints have taken it upon themselves to keep the legacy alive. You can still find peanut butter–topped hamburgers at eateries in Sedalia today, a result of The Wheel Inn’s nearly 70 years as a local staple.

I reckon many folks will hate the thought of peanut butter on a burger, but I think it might be kinda tasty! Might have to try this one at home, ya know?

Coffee out on the patio this morning.

10 comments:

Mamahen said...

I like peanut butter a lot of ways, but this just doesn't sound appealing to me. I have a friend who loves it on her toast with bacon and eggs. Never could get behind that either:))

bigfoot said...

My mom used to love banana and mayonnaise sandwiches. But peanut butter on a hamburger? Hmmmm. Not sure, but I guess alotta folks like it in Sedalia.

linda m said...

I love peanut butter, but don't think I want it on my hamburger. Think I'l just stick to a burger with the works -pickles, onions, ketchup and mustard.

Rob said...

A good burger, now we're talking! I'll go out of my way to try a good burger.... (we all need hobbies :-)

I drove to Memphis just to try a deep fried burger from Dyer's, it was worth the trip!
In Benson Arizona I stopped at the Horseshoe Cafe & tried their Horseshoe burger, topped with cream cheese & sliced jalapenos peppers. WOW! That was good..

I'm going to have to try one with peanut butter now....

texasann said...

Hubby had several of these in the original location, Bubba, and I have heard him sing its' praises many times. Still likes his homemade burgers this way.
And another favorite of his is mayonnaise and pineapple sandwiches. I'll take my peanut butter almost any way, but have to admit I have not tried it on a 🍔.

How about some peanut butter 🍪 cookies to go along with our coffee?

Big hugs ~

HermitJim said...

Hey Mamahen...
Like I said, I may be crazy. Still, I reckon I would have to try it before passing judgement.
Thanks for stopping by this morning!


Hey Bigfoot...
I have heard of the mayo and banana thing before, although I've never tried it.
Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Linda...
I'll admit the idea seems strange, but guess I'll have to try it and see. I might like it!
Thanks for the visit this morning!

HermitJim said...

Hey Rob...
Sounds like my kind of road trip, for sure. I'll split the gas with ya!
Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Sis...
If Rod likes it, then I reckon it can't be all bad...right? On the peanut butter cookies, You know I'm ready for them!
Thanks for stopping by today!


JO said...

Sounds interesting, If you try it let us know Mr Hermit my friend. But the mayo would have to go don't like it much on a lot of things. Now bananas and peanutbutter yes with mayo no. I guess I'm going to have to go to Benson and try that burger Rob mentioned. Good excuse for a road trip.

Coffee on the patio sound good the weather here is a cold windy mess.

Dizzy-Dick said...

I used to grow peanuts in my garden until I realized how much mold grew on them. I believe that mold causes all sorts of ills in we humans so I do not eat peanut butter. Instead, I just love almond butter and cashew nut butter, these grow on trees.

James said...

A local restaurant has one, it's really good. Hard to imagine but the flavors blend well.