Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Can You Believe This Critter...?

Just about the time we get to thinking we have seen nearly everything, along comes this guy. Although in all fairness, this little guy has been around for quite awhile...or so it seems.

Okapi



Although well known to Egyptians in ancient times, and to pygmies since prehistory, the Okapi’s existence was only confirmed and accepted by western science in the 20th century. At first, scientists thought it was some kind of forest dwelling zebra, because of the stripes on its legs, but now it is known to be the closest and only living relative to the giraffe! Just like the giraffe, the Okapi is an usually peaceful vegetarian with a very long, bluish gray tongue that comes in handy to clean its eyes, ears and nostrils… both inside and out. Adult Okapis are about 2 meters tall at the shoulder; that’s much smaller than the giraffe, but they are still one of the largest animals in the African rainforests. Seldom seen and rarely displayed in zoos, the Okapi is only found in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, although it was likely more widespread in ancient times.

I'll say one thing about this guy. He sure has one crazy paint job, courtesy of Mother Nature, no doubt.

Coffee out on the patio once again.

10 comments:

Mamahen said...

That's quite a creature. I had never heard of it. Patio it is:))

linda m said...

I have read about this animal and seen shows about it in the Animal Planet station. Very strange looking indeed. Mother Nature at her best. Patio sounds great this morning. I'll bring some fresh baked bread and sweet cream butter.

HermitJim said...

Hey Mamahen...
Nature is chock full of surprises, that's for sure.
Thanks for stopping by today!

Hey Linda...
I do love me some fresh baked bread!
Thanks for coming over today!

JO said...

Fantastic looking animal, like you said one crazy paint job

Gorges Smythe said...

Strange-looking creature!

chipmunk said...

Aren't they cool looking? We've seen them at Disney's Animal Kingdom in Orlando.

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
Nature is certainly creative at times.
Thanks, dear, for dropping by today!

Hey Gorges...
It certainly is that!
Thanks for the visit today!

Hey Chipmunk...
I'd really like to see one in person. Amazing.
Many thanks for coming over today!

texasann said...

Love his blue Speedo!

Will Beaver (Ireland) said...

Dear Hermit Jim, a long time ago I ran a blog called The Beaver's Blog. I think I corresponded with you a couple of times back then. You may not remember -- a long time ago!
I still occasionally look in on your blog, which I always find well written and entertaining.

Anyway your post about the Okapi caught my attention, and stirred an old memory dating back to London UK in the sixties, and a British comedy duo known as Flanders and Swan. I was present at one of their many performances at that time, and one of their best known songs was The Gnu Song, one of their popular animal songs.
In both the second and third verse of the song, who gets mention but the Okapi!

The song may be heard here https://youtu.be/OPgo6s1lBbw

It is of course now very old Fashioned and very British, and I fear it my not cross the Atlantic very well. But I mention it as a curiosity and to thank you for bringing to the surface an old memory (:-)

I hope all is well with you, best wishes, Will.

Mia said...

Lovely blog you have