Friday, December 4, 2009

Don't Forget The Critters...!


While decorating for the holidays, don't forget the animals, especially the animals outside.

It may seem a little silly until you stop and think about it. I mean, we get some enjoyment from watching the animals that live outdoors all through the year...so why not give a little back.

Another good thing about this decorating idea, is that the kids can be a large part of it. I can almost guarantee that after it's done, they will spend a LOT of time looking out the window to watch the animals enjoy their tree!

Some easy ideas are to string popcorn or cheerios on thread or yarn. Pine cones can be spread with peanut butter or suet/peanut butter mix, then dipped in bird seed & hung on the tree. Pieces of apples and oranges can also be used for ornaments.The birds will love it! Not to mention the squirrels...!

You can even have the kids help with making the popcorn string. Just be sure to keep an eye on them during the process. Using needles and such can cause some ouchies on little fingers, not to mention being hard on bare feet if they are lost in the carpet!

Just a couple of tips here on stringing popcorn. If you use the non-buttered popping corn, the insects will be more likely to leave it alone. Also, letting the corn sit over night can help the corn to be more pliable for running a needle through.

You might consider using very light weight fishing line instead of thread for stringing as it will last a little longer in the weather. Besides, the birds can use it for nest building in the Spring!

Oh...and don't forget to spread some peanuts or the like on the ground for all the critters that can't get up the tree or bush, OK?

Now, my friends, let's get some coffee and sit at the kitchen table for a bit. We can watch for the snow that's supposed to come!

9 comments:

JoJo said...

Good Morning My Special One, you are such a sweet heart. I will put out my feeders as soon as my house is back in order.they should be done today.(i hope) I have to be careful what and where I put things in the yard becuase of the wild critters I encountered last night. There was quite a herd out there including some really little babies. Thats when you have to be real careful or they will attack. so lets just sit around the table again and enjoy all the stories of critters and xmas wishes.

Momlady said...

Cracked corn for the turkey and sweet lick for the deer. Bird feeders full, BB gun at the ready for the tree rats, I mean squirrels, who think my porch is a restaurant.

Felinae said...

Thanks Uncle Hermit,

I've always told Catman that when we move out of CA in approx. 3-4 years and get to wherever.(Right now KY is the front runner) That I am putting a special tree outside just for the critters during the winter months. :)

Thanks for the ideas :D

Hugs~Felinae~

Rae said...

Great ideas.

The cottage by the Cranelake said...

I´ve never tried popcorn to the birds, but they all love sunflower seeds. They eat lodas of it. Insects isn´t a big problem now, we had only 10F here yesterday morning :-) :-)
Have a great day now!
Christer.

Kyddryn said...

Mornin', Mister Hermit, sir - and happy snow day!!

I have a feeder that I fill with layers of mixed seed and sunflowers seeds, and a couple of suet cages that I try to keep up with during the winter...and the Evil Genius loves scattering seed on the ground!

One of these days I'll add a platform feeder for the bluebirds - they like mealworms.

Shade and Sweetwater,
K (who thinks the rest of the yard critters are quite happy with the compost pile!)

Ken said...

...i/we do peanutbutter covered pine cones,rolled in birdseed...pecan,hickory,and oak trees offer up sustenance for other critters in the yard...

HermitJim said...

Hey JoJo...
Bet you'll be happy to get inside again! Glad you're going to put up the feeders for the critters, dear!

It's snowing here in Houston...can you believe it? brrrr!!

Thanks, sweetie, for coming by today!


Hey Momlady...
That sounds like a pretty good menu to me! Should just about take care of all the critters, for sure!

It must be time for some wassal or hot chocolate or mulled wine, ya think?

Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Felinae...
I think that's an excellent idea! Just want to be sure that the Catman doesn't sit on the porch with a gun, waiting on the animals to come feast!

Thanks for coming over!


Hey Rae...
Thanks, Rae...I appreciate that! I also appreciate you coming by today!


Hey Christer...
I think all the bigger birds like the sunflower seeds pretty well!

Popcorn seems to be a favorite of the doves here! Squirrels seem to like it as well...

Thanks for the visit today, my friend!


Hey K...
Sounds like a workable plan to me! I'm sure the critters will be happy with it for sure!

It's amazing how much enjoyment they get from such a simple action, isn't it?

Hey, thanks for coming by today!

HermitJim said...

Hey Ken...
That sounds like a good thing! They seem to like both the peanutbutter and the bird seed for sure!

Hey buddy, thanks for coming by today!