Saturday, March 19, 2011

Now This Is Unusual...!


Not often do you run across a story like this!

Talk about having an angel watching out for you...! This could have been so much worse for this lady! I, for one, am glad to see a news story with a happy ending!

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – You can file this under something you don’t hear about everyday. Members of Dallas Fire Rescue responded to a call of a “choking” at an apartment in the 8500 block of Fair Oaks Crossing.

Firefighters arrived to find the front door of the apartment open. They entered cautiously and soon heard someone calling out to them.

When rescuers went to the bathroom, they found something unexpected. “A 69-year-old female, sitting on the toilet, with a toilet paper holder impaled in her neck,” explained Dallas Fire Rescue Public Information Officer Jason Evans.

The woman had no trouble breathing and was able to speak. She told firefighters that she simply slipped and fell.

“She has a history of bad knees and it’s very difficult for her to walk,” said Evans. “And she apparently fell and the toilet paper holder just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.”

Rescuers were worried about the weight of the toilet paper holder, which still had toilet paper on it, and decided to remove it at the scene. Firefighters used bolt cutters to cut off the heavy end and the remaining piece fell out on its own.

The woman, who was in good spirits, was taken to Baylor Hospital and is expected to only need a few stitches.

Since my Mom has a tendency to fall from time to time, I guess I had visions of how something could possibly happen to her! Like I said, it could have been so much worse!

Let's get some fresh coffee and sit out on the patio today! Should be up in the 80s!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes that was the most unusual story and I´m glad nothing worse happened! But I still have problems imagining how this happened.

Have a great day!
Christer.

HermitJim said...

Hey Christer...
You don't hear this kind of story everyday!

I am so glad that she didn't hit her head on the toilet or something, ya know?

At least she's alive and seems OK.

I sure do appreciate you coming by today!

JoJo said...

Yikes that is scarey. Especially since I just had this knee surgery, I am glad she is OK and yes it could have been much worse. I have had some scarey moments here in the last few weeks.
And in the 80's not bad we have hit low 90's already I'm not happy about that :) But coffee with my Special Friend on the patio sounds wonderful

HermitJim said...

Hey JoJo...
I'm really glad nothing like this happened to you, sweetie!

You just be careful, OK? I would hate for you to fall!

Thanks so much for coming by today, sweetie!

Catman said...

There are so many bad jokes that could come out of this.....

HermitJim said...

Hey Catman...
You can't help but see a little humor in the circumstances, but only because of her not being hurt!

When I first read the story, I thought "how would I explain this to anyone if it were me"? Can't imagine being able to do it without grinning!

Hey, thanks for dropping by today, buddy!

Ben in Texas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ben in Texas said...

I'm still trying to get it straight in my mind how the heck that happen. I know that if I fell on my TP holder, it'd just pop out off the wall.
Glad she is OK, BTW, there was not a word on the news about it here in the DFW areai

Caddie said...

Falling seems to be my new pasttime. The cane tripped me this time...splatter, ouch, my knee, elbow and hand, neck and back. Where next. Is being 69 got anything to do with falling specifically, I wonder. If so, soon that will be past and NO MORE FALLs when I turn 70 soon. Yay!

Momlady said...

All I can say is....ouch.

HermitJim said...

Hey Ben...
I can only guess that it was one of those freak things! I'm surprised it didn't show up on the news!

I appreciate the visit today!


Hey Sissy...
I hope that 69 isn't a trigger for falling, 'cause I'm not far away!

Sorry to hear about your fall, but better a little sore than to have something like this poor lady, right?

Thanks, my friend, for coming by today!


Hey Momlady...
Makes you sorta cringe, doesn't it? Better it happened inside than out!

Sure will make a good story for the grand kids!

Thanks so much for coming by today!