Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Slowly Turning To Stone...?


So much sadness in the world, and it just gets worse for some!

I'm not sure what I would do in a case like this, but I have to admit that this lady is showing a lot of intestinal fortitude!

What would you do if you knew that there was no cure for an illness that got worse everyday? Yeah, me too!

Woman, 26, Remains Optimistic as Body Turns to Stone

Published March 22, 2011

| FoxNews.com


A 26-year-old U.K. woman is faced with choosing whether to sit or stand for the rest of her life as her body slowly turns to stone, The Daily Mail reported.

Rachel Winnard suffers from fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva, a rare condition that causes bone to form in muscles, tendons, ligaments and other connective tissue. There are approximately 500 people in the world who suffer from this medical condition, and there is no cure.

The disease has already compromised some parts of her body – she cannot raise her arms above her head and she cannot straighten her feet.

Winnard recently married her longtime boyfriend, Paul, 30, and she said it is her dream to have a child with him.

“It’s always been my dream to get married, and have a family, and I desperately wanted to walk up the aisle,” Winnard said. “Ending up in a wheelchair is my worst nightmare, so it was something I wanted to do while I was still able to do it.”

The couple plans to honeymoon in Australia.

This is a truly optimistic woman, if you ask me! She is definitely making the best of the time she has left, and you have to give her credit for having a very brave and supportive mate!

All you can do when you run across a story like this, is to wish her the best and hope that she and her husband will be happy while they can. Sort of puts things in perspective, don't you think?

Let's get some coffee and sit outside. The fresh air will do me good!

7 comments:

Ben in Texas said...

Never heard of that. IT must be rare indeed. One can only hope she finds happiness and loving while she can.

Dizzy-Dick said...

Since the heart is a muscle, I wonder if this disease is the origan of the saying "stone cold heart"?

JoJo said...

She is a very brave woman and yes so is her partner. Sounds like she is a fighter.
The other thing that comes to mind when you hear these kinds of things is I really don't have it so bad.

HermitJim said...

Hey Ben...
I would think that with only 500 cases in the world, they will never find a cure!

Thanks, buddy, for coming by today!


Hey Dizzy...
I was wondering that same thing as I wrote this.

I almost used a version for the title of this post!

Thanks for coming by this morning!


Hey JoJo...
Seems like there is always someone just a little worse off, ya know?

Thanks, sweetie, for coming by today!

Anonymous said...

I saw a documentary about people with that disease not long ago and I have to say that it is awful! They have tried to break the bone tissue that fills the body but that only made it worse, the bones just grew even faster.

Have a great day now!
Christer.

HermitJim said...

Hey Christer...
I had not heard of this disease until I found this story!

Very sad for anyone with this condition, I think!

My thanks to you, my friend, for coming by today!

bigbadsis@gmail.com said...

A woman at our church has a disease that makes her skin harden...no cure for it, either. She underwent a kidney transplant less than a month ago but can't dress herself or brush her own hair, etc. because her hands are claw-like and she can't move her fingers or anything. Unless she is in the hospital, she seldom misses church and she is always so cheerful and pleasant. Makes me ashamed of myself, sometimes.