Friday, October 24, 2014

Devil's Fingers For Freaky Friday...!

Once more, a story that sort of ties in with the month of Halloween.

This fungus seems to be aptly named, if you ask me. I swear it looks like a gloved hand coming out of the ground, complete with the sleeve of a shirt! Scary stuff!

Devil’s Fingers Mushroom


Photo credit: Fendy/Blogger 

Clathrus archeri, better known as devil’s fingers or octopus stinkhorn, is a truly creepy mushroom. In its mature form, it has four to eight fingers as red as a fire engine with black spheres that resemble suction cups on an octopus’s tentacles. These black spheres are gleba, which emit a rancid smell reminiscent of rotting meat. This attracts flies, which disperse the plant’s spores. The smell explains the “stinkhorn” part of its name.

Like all stinkhorns, devil’s fingers start life in a white, partially buried, egg-like bulb. When it bursts from the bulb, the fingers are white and look like a corpse’s hand and sleeve rising from the grave. Eventually, the fingers stand erect, rising to 10 centimeters (4 in) in height and spreading out to 20 centimeters (8 in) in width. Although it is not toxic, its smell makes it inedible.

They don't have to tell me not to eat it, 'cause I have no intention of doing so!

Coffee out on the patio this morning, if you don't mind!

7 comments:

Chickenmom said...

Now that would look creepy growing in a graveyard! Guess I won't bring 'lady fingers' to go with our coffee today.....

Mamahen said...

Lol no they wouldn't need to warn me away from it either....but lady fingers, that's a different story CM :))

linda m said...

Would love coffee on the patio - foggy and chilly here. That is one creepy mushroom. Can you imagine that growing on someones grave? Now that would really scare the pants off me.

Anonymous said...

That is one truly disturbing looking mushroom :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.

JO said...

At least now if I come across one I won't crap my pants. Thanks for that post. LOL

Crisp morning here loving it.

Sixbears said...

How would you like to find one of those in the dark?

Spooky.

Dizzy-Dick said...

I have never seen any of those and maybe I don't care to. . . Those are what nightmares are made of.