Monday, October 19, 2015

Another Strange Desert Mystery For Monday...!

No matter how you slice it, the deserts of the world contain many, many mysteries. This article from Listverse is another!

Now this one is a little different than the others we've looked at. It involves 4 different states, and that alone is part of the mystery.

Four Corners Gas



Photo credit: Heribert

In 2003, a satellite used to measure methane found a deadly cloud of this greenhouse gas as it passed over the Four Corners in the United States. The Four Corners is the area where Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah meet. Something was releasing a shocking amount of methane equal to 10 percent of annual emissions of methane in all of the United States. This continued for six years. Then it stopped as mysteriously as it had started.

There are nearly 40,000 wells in the area that could have been responsible for the outpouring of greenhouse gas. The purpose of these wells is to extract natural gas, which is mostly methane, from the local coal-rich environment. However, it cannot satisfactorily explain the sheer volume of the greenhouse gas found floating above the Four Corners. According to NASA, the possibility that the six-year methane event was a natural gas leak cannot be discounted. Whether it was man-made or natural, researchers are still trying to discover the origin of the methane, a gas more effective at creating global warming than carbon dioxide.

So many of the stories we look at are thrown at us by Mother Nature. She has many to share, that's for sure!

Coffee out on the patio!

5 comments:

Momlady said...

Maybe the aliens ate too many beans and the methane generated was gathered by their mother ship so they could go home.

linda m said...

I love Momlady's explanation. I was going to say the same thing myself. I've been to Four Corners but didn't smell anything.

JO said...

There are so many things I don't know. But you are teaching new things to me all the time. Ihad never heard about this one. Thanks

HermitJim said...

Hey Momlady...
I do like that explanation. Wonder how many beans it would take to power the mother ship?
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Linda...
I've never been and I'm thinking maybe that's a good thing. I don't have a gas mask!
I appreciate the visit this morning!


Hey Jo...
I'm more than happy to share what I learn. Anytime I can share, it makes me feel good!
Thanks, sweetie, for dropping by today!

Sixbears said...

The four corners is a strange part of the country.