Thursday, October 26, 2017

The Mysterious Black Mist...!

Here is another one of Nature's mysteries that we can't explain...yet.

Imagine a strange mist that suddenly appears out of nowhere, then vanishes as quickly as it came. No explanations from anyone, no evidence as to the origin, nothing!

  The Black Mist Of Casa Grande Mountain


Photo credit: Kathy Christenson

According to locals, the roads and pathways around the base of Casa Grande Mountain in Arizona are subject to a strange black mist after dark. Legends state that if this black mist is allowed to engulf you, it will “plague you with uneasy feelings” or even transport you away to another dimension or time altogether.

Many of these legends are said to have their routes in the culture of the Hohokam Native American tribes, who once called the area home—until they disappeared themselves without any explanation around AD 1100. Many of their ruins still exist in the area, some of which remain a mystery as to their purpose even today. According to the legends, the black mist of Casa Grande Mountain contains the ancient, living essence of the desert and has a mind of its own and should be respected at all times.

I don't know about you, but I don't want to be anywhere around that black mist.

Coffee out on the patio, where the air is dry and the weather is cool.

9 comments:

Sixbears said...

I'll be very happy not to encounter the black mist, thank you very much!

Another day of rain today, but it's very much needed. Good day to stay inside and drink coffee.

linda m said...

Don't think I want to be "taken" by any black mist. 36 degrees here this morning - a tad chilly for my bones. Be happy to join you on your patio.

Momlady said...

All nature should be respected at all times. Alas.....
Don't think I'll be going there any time soon. It's going to be a sunny, cool day here.

HermitJim said...

Hey Sixbears...
I'm certainly with ya on that!
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Linda...
Not a trip I want to experience either. 56 right now, so it's warmer on the patio than at your place.
Thanks for coming over this morning!


Hey Momlady...
I like sunny and cool. I agree that nature should be respected, even when we don't always understand it.
Thanks for the visit today!

JO said...

I have never heard of this black mist and I have visited the ruins a few times. I'll have to check into this further, you know I have to know everything about my part of the SW.

Chilly here this morning I just love it but I will stop at the patio

Hermit's Baby Sis said...

No black mist for me, Bubba. Enough other, nicer places to visit in this ol' world of ours.
A cuppa this chilly morning would be great, especially with the company!

Big hugs ~

Dizzy-Dick said...

I wonder if the black mist caused the black plague???

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
Just don't go disappearing on us, girl. OK?
Thanks for dropping by today, sweetie!


Hey Sis...
I don't want to visit either.
Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Dizzy...
Now that is a disturbing thought.
Thanks for the visit, my friend!

Unknown said...

This is the first time I've been able to find something close to what I experienced in 2008. I was leaving a movie theater around midnight. I decided to take a desert road home as a shortcut. There are no street-lights on a good stretch of this road. As I rounded a bend, I saw what I could only describe as a black void hovering over the road. It was as wide as the 2 lane road and about three times taller than my car. I didn't have time to think or react before I had driven into it. Every bit of light from my high-beams were completely absorbed, and I could see nothing but pitch black out of my windows. The stars and moon were also gone. I was in it long enough I started to panic, wondering what just happened, is this a black hole and was I ever going to exit it? Shortly after I had that thought, I was out. In reality, it lasted maybe 10 seconds. In hindsight I wish I had stopped and investigated it, but I was completely dazed and just kept driving, still very freaked out. All I can say is that it was not smoke or a swarm of bugs. This had a defined shape (rectangle) and ate the light. It happened in North Phoenix, AZ, southbound on 7th Street just after Happy Valley Road turns into it. There is some kind of mountain quarry nearby as well as a canal that's part of the Salt River Project.