Well, this article from Listverse proves just how dangerous this handy tool can be, given the right conditions. Pretty damn scary, if you ask me. I never even thought about something like this ever happening...never!
Photo credit: Meagan Fitzgerald/KUSA
In January 2015, Coloradoan Christopher Reid Carrington was searching for tools in the back of his truck. To free his hands, he held his flashlight in his mouth. A few seconds later, it exploded, causing third-degree burns to his lip, tongue, and throat. Blood gushed from his mouth, and he was unable to speak, but his seven-year-old son called 911. Carrington spent four days in the hospital, a tube down his throat helping him to breathe, before he was released. Doctors said he may never be able to taste anything again.
In a similar incident on November 7, 2017, in Bradley, Indiana, Caleb Joyner, 36, was injured when a flashlight exploded in his mouth. After experiencing car trouble, he’d stopped in a parking lot to look under the hood of his car. The flashlight exploded when, while bending over for a better look, Joyner came too close to the vehicle’s battery. He died the next day in a local hospital.
I think that both of these incidents were very unusual, but it makes you stop and think; just how safe are the things we sometimes have to really count on. Just another nagging question to ponder, i reckon.
Coffee in the kitchen this morning. Way too cold to go outside!