Friday, August 31, 2018

The Ear Mound For Freaky Friday...!

Just when I think I've seen or read the freakiest thing around, I find something else...like this !

How much more freaky can you get than a place called "The Ear Mound?"

Proof Of Kill



Photo credit: KENPEI

Sometimes, body parts were taken as proof that someone had been killed. When Japan invaded Korea in the 16th century, samurai warriors cut off the noses of their enemies, partly as trophies and partly because they were paid according to the number of kills that they made. The noses—and sometimes ears—of the dead were brought back to Japan and stored in “nose tombs.”

Discovered in the 1980s, one of these tombs contained over 20,000 pickled noses. Some people in Korea have requested the return of the noses, while others think that they should be properly destroyed. The noses (and many ears) are buried in a 9-meter-high (30 ft) hillock called “The Ear Mound” in Kyoto. It is maintained at the expense of the Japanese government, who seem a little embarrassed about the whole thing.

I found this interesting tidbit over on Listverse. I think it's fair to say it is strange, right?

Coffee out on the patio again this morning!

7 comments:

Mamahen said...

You do find the strangest things to read about. I'd say this qualifies as freaky for sure:))

JO said...

Well that is really awful stuff. I don't think I will add that to my bucket list of places to visit.

Patio sounds nice the mornings are pretty good these days.

Rob said...

Paid by the kill way back when, and the monument to the proof is still supported by the Japanese government today.

Coffee on the patio sounds like a fine idea!

HermitJim said...

Hey Mamahen...
I reckon my mind is just drawn to the strange stories. Guess I'm weird that way.
Thanks for stopping by this morning!


Hey Jo...
I don't want to visit either. Too creepy for me.
Thanks dear, for dropping by this morning!


HermitJim said...

Hey Rob...
Is it me, or does that seem a tad strange?
Thanks for coming over this morning!

Dizzy-Dick said...

I just grabbed hold of my ear and my nose, just to see if they were still there and to try and protect them.

Rob said...

Well Mr Hermit I think it's the Japanese way of doing things. They have a very long history of that style of life.
The last 70+ years have seemed different because of Gen MacArthur & losing WW2.