Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sunday Confusion...

Now let me see if I have this straight...on Saturday evenings some people stand at different street corners in my city and , I'm sure, in other cities as well selling newspapers. The paper they are selling is the SUNDAY paper. Since they are selling the Sunday paper on Saturday, does that mean that nothing at all newsworthy is going to happen on Saturday night after the papers are printed? Nothing? I really find that hard to believe! And if the paper they are selling on Saturday is the Sunday paper...then what is the paper the very same people are selling on the very same street corners on Sunday mornings? Is it the Monday paper? Is it a new and improved version of the Sunday paper sold on Saturday? Why would anyone buy a Sunday paper on Saturday knowing that there will be a new and improved version of the Sunday paper on sale Sunday morning? Does that make sense to anyone? What am I missing here?

Next thing I really don't understand at all has to do with cell phones...and it may be simple, but I don't have a cell phone and I'm a little slow to catch on, so help me understand! The telephone was invented so that a person in one place could talk in real time to a person in another place...right? The operative word here is TALK! Now unless someone is a doctor, a lawyer, a fireman or policeman or someone else that needs to be contacted immediately at times, I don't see the need for cell phones. What I really don't understand though, is the need for a phone that is really equipped for texting, or the sending of text messages. What ? Pay extra for a telephone that I can use to send text messages with...and not for talking? I thought that telephones were for talking on...see why I'm confused?

I know, I know...it's probably just cause I'm old and behind the times, but to me if a paper is sold on Saturday it should be the Saturday paper...and if you have an object called a cell phone then it should be used as a phone and that means talking! Like I said, I'm confused!!

All this deep thinking has made me realize that I need some fresh coffee while I think about this...want a cup?

2 comments:

blondie said...

For the record,
I don't own a cell phone either.
When I'm out, I'm out and would rather not be contacted :)

Remember the old days when the phone rang and the kids (me) got all excited asking "Who is it, who is it?"

Now when the phone rings, I look at the Caller ID first to see if it's someone I want to talk to, or not.

Kinda sad how times have changed about that.

Oh well, at least I can have a cheap cup of coffee with you, NOT from Starbucks!

Happy Monday,
blondie

HermitJim said...

Morning, Girl! Yep...I know what you mean about not wanting to be contacted when I'm out and I remember well how everyone used to get excited when the phone rang! BUT, I had 3 sisters so the phone was seldom for me, ya know? Thanks for the comments and rest assured at my place the coffee is always FREE!

Jim