Monday, August 18, 2008

The Comfort Of My Chair...

At the desk where I have my computer, I have an old raggedy office chair. I have had this chair for several years now, and like me, it's starting to show it's age. The fabric that serves as the covering of this old chair is torn in spots, worn thin in others, and has become the center of claw sharpening activities from my two cats.

My poor old chair makes noises when I try and roll it backwards or forwards, when I swivel around and when I lean back. Also, some of the bolts that hold this over worked and well used piece of furniture together are starting to become loose, and can't be tightened as the holes are starting to strip out and just don't work like they should.

Why don't I get rid of this old chair and get a new one? Simple...it's a comfortable chair. Despite the torn and worn fabric, the moans and groans that it makes from time to time, the fact that it isn't as nice to look at as it was when it was new, and some of the padding in the seat has shifted a bit it's still the most comfortable seat in the room to me.

In fact, the more I think about it there is another reason I don't dispose of this worn out chair. The truth is this chair reminds me a lot of...ME! I mean, we have a lot in common. We really do!

My skin or covering, if you will is a little torn in spots, starting to wear thin in others, and all too often is used by the cats as a place to stick a claw from time to time. I also make creaking noises from time to time when I move wrong, get out of bed, swivel the wrong way or lean too far back. Some of my joints don't seem to fit just right, different muscles are starting to wear out a bit and don't work as well as they used to. I'm not as good looking as I used to be when I was younger and more than a little of my padding has shifted to a totally different place than it started from.

One other thing this old chair and I have in common is that we are both very comfortable to those that know us well. Despite our worn condition, we still can offer a safe and dependable source of support to those that need it. Forget about the fact that we both are showing our age a bit. Even though some may think that we are too far past our prime to have much to offer, I would suggest that regardless of all our faults we have some good years in us yet. We both are stronger than we look, firmer than we appear to be, and even with the shift in some of our padding in places and some rough edges, the hugs and comfort we offer to those that need it far surpasses any available by a new replacement.

So having said all that, I'm going to lean back in my old worn chair, rock a little while I listen to some music, and have some fresh coffee...care to share a cup?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bubba -

Wish I had one of those comfortable hugs right now! It's been too long - we'll have to rectify that real soon! Love your thoughts - my chair also fits my "places" and my kitty thinks my lap is HIS spot, too!

HermitJim said...

Hey Sis...no such thing as too many hugs, that's for sure. I can associate with needing a hug or two myself.

Chairs that fit our "places"...that phrase brings a smile to my face! Thanks for stopping by...

blondie said...

Now that was a post that I could really get into ;)

I don't have one of those chairs right now. Wish I did.

I've gone through several kitchen chairs while sitting here in the living room, but none of them are comfortable.

Your explanation about the comfy old chair and you was wonderful!

Hugs are definitely in order :))
blondie :))

HermitJim said...

Hey Blondie...thanks for stopping by and for the comments. I'm glad you enjoyed the post.

I'll certainly take one of those Colorado hugs...anytime!

Hot and muggy here today. I wish the air wasn't so humid, but that's the way it is in August and September on the coast.

Oh well...the desert will be dry! ( or at least not humid!)

See ya...

Will Buckley said...

Jim are you getting mushy and poetic in your later years?

HermitJim said...

Hey Will...good to see ya again! Well, to tell ya the truth, I have been accused of being a little mushy from time to time, especiallty between the ears. As far as waxing poetic...that I couldn't answer. Does it pay anything?

I really appreciate you dropping by and hope you enjoyed the post.

See ya in TE...

Cat Melton said...

Aw, Jim, your post makes me want to sit right down in my own comfy chair and contemplate the wonders of life...

Truly, that was nice. Warm and fuzzy...puts a smile on the face.

Thanks,
Cat

HermitJim said...

Hey Cat...thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you found the post enjoyable and also glad you have a comfy old chair to ball up in. Kinda like an old friend, huh?

Appreciate you bringing a smile around today...

blondie said...

PS, can I have your chair?
or at least share it?
It sounds wonderful :))

HermitJim said...

Hey Blondie...I couldn't give up my old friend, but I would certainly be more than willing to share it with you. By sharing it with you, it becomes more valueable to the both of us.

A treasure shared is a treasure increased, don't you think?

Thanks for coming by, my friend...

Noki said...

You're my favorite "comfortable, old chair". I think I'll be keeping you around. Heck, you're nearly an antique! :-P

HermitJim said...

Hey Ashley...if I were a car, I would be considered a classic. Thanks for dropping by.

Besides, everyone knows that antiques are more valuable!

Anonymous said...

My padding shifting??? I don't have a chair like the one mentioned but I know your chair. After reading your blog, I can almost justify buying myself a chair.
Big Sis

HermitJim said...

Hey Sis...thanks for stopping by. Yep, I think every body needs one, even a new one so y6ou can break it in...know what I mean?

See ya soon...

blondie said...

OK, we'll share then :)

HermitJim said...

hey Blondie...sounds like a VERY acceptable plan to me...:))