Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Hermit's New Favorite Cookie...

Now I have found something very special! As you know, the Hermit is a cookie lover from way, way back. I have found a treat that not only is a cookie, but it's made with Coffee! What a deal for a coffee lover like me. I wouldn't share this with just anybody, but since you are all friends of mine, I'm going to post the recipe here. I hope you enjoy it!

HERMIT COOKIES

1 c. soft shortening
2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c. cold coffee
3 1/2 c. sifted flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 1/2 c. seedless raisins, soaked in 1/2 c. brandy or rum
overnight

Cream shortening and gradually beat in sugar and eggs. Stir in cold coffee. Sift together flour, soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon, mix all together and stir in raisins. Chill at least one hour. Drop rounded teaspoons on lightly greased baking sheet.

Bake in hot oven, 400 degrees, about 8 to 10 minutes. Makes 6 dozen.

I can't help but think that a fresh batch of these cookies and some just brewed coffee would be a perfect way to start the day! Tell you what...I'll bring the coffee and you bring the cookies! How's that sound, my friend?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...

I don't really care for raisins, but maybe the rum will take care of that part, so I'll have to give them a try and get back to you, OK? In the meantime, I'll have a cuppa with you! Settle in and "listen to the rythum of the falling rain". Loved your "rainbow" segment!

Anonymous said...

I am going to try to make these cookies for my friends. Will let you know of any feedback.
I,too, enjoyed Iz's song. My best friend is Hawaiian..Donna C....you have heard me mention her before. I have heard his music many times.
Keep up the good work.
Love ya.

HermitJim said...

Hey...my 2 favorite sisters showing up at the same posting. What a special treat for me! I figured that as good as you two are at cooking, you could really shine at making these cookies...

Baby Sis...glad you liked the rainbow segment and "B"...glad you enjoyed the song from Iz The video of the spreading of his ashes is really a wonderful video. You can find it on Youtube.com

Thanks, you two, for dropping by!

Cat Melton said...

Mmmmm...cookies! With rum and raisins and coffee...sounds delicious! I think I shall try them, too.

Don't forget to smile, friend,
Cat

blondie said...

I'm not a big raisin fan either, but maybe the rum would do the trick. Either that or replace them with chocolate chips? Mmmmmm
Sounds like a great plan Jim.
Let me know when the cookies come out of the oven :))
blondie

HermitJim said...

Hey Cat...for an old cake maker like you this recipe should be easy as pie(no pun intended!). And I don't mean that you are a maker of old cakes, but an experienced one...

Hey Blondie...maybe we should leave out the raisins asnd just pour in the rum instead! Or we could put the rum in the coffee... We will just have to experiment with that part!!

Thanks to both you ladies for dropping by...

Noki said...

I thought my cookies were your favorite! I guess I have to revise my recipe, now. Of course, I hate raisins, and I've never tasted rum, but I can add coffee to the mix and see what happens.

I wonder... if I add chocolate chips, instead of raisins, then it will combine your two most favoritest food loves, right?

Hugs,
Ashley

HermitJim said...

Hey Ashley...thanks for coming by. Coffee, raisins, rum, chocolate...got all my favorites in it . Don't think anyone could miss with this recipe, that's for sure.

Later...