Thursday, August 14, 2008

Let's Talk About Thyme...!


There are several varieties of Thyme but the common Thyme is the one most used in aromatherapy. It is also one of the best known by the average person.

This herb has always been used in cooking and is known for slowing down the growth of bacteria in foods. It is also a digestive stimulant, useful for people with a sluggish digestive system or in helping when the whole body needs to be more efficient.

Another traditional use of Thyme has been in treating colds, coughs and sore throats. It can be used as an inhalation for nose, throat and chest infections or as a mouthwash or gargle.

Even as little as 1% of Thyme essential oil in a toothpaste is effective against bacteria which can cause mouth and gum infections. Perhaps one of the most important properties of Thyme in fighting infection is that it stimulates the production of white corpuscles needed by the body to increase resistance to invading organisms.

It generally stimulates the circulation and helps to raise low blood pressure. It is particularly good for people who are fatigued, depressed or lethargic making it very useful in helping to restore health and in stimulating the appetite, which is so often poor after an illness.

Like Rosemary essential oil, Thyme helps to stimulate the brain and improve the memory. It is said Thyme can be used in baths to help insomnia, which may seem strange considering its stimulating properties but as with so many essential oils it can be both a sedative and a stimulant.

Thyme is sometimes used for healthy hair rinses, aromatic waters for the skin and in compresses for sores and wounds. You can use it in hot compresses to relieve rheumatic pain and the fresh herb, crushed, is a good first-aid for insect bites and stings. It's important not to use undiluted essential oil for this as it will sting the skin. The essential oil stings in the bath, unless previously dissolved.

Safety Data from reiki healing spain. Avoid during pregnancy and use in moderation and in low dilution.

Now I think it's about TIME for some fresh coffee...! (no pun intended, of course!)

3 comments:

blondie said...

OK I can't help myself.
"Are you going to Scarborough Fair? Parsley Sage Rosemary and Thyme..."

Sorry about that Jim.
But you know that my mind works around songs. lol

Good Info here every day!
And thanks for the coffee :))
blondie

HermitJim said...

Hey Blondie...I wondered how long it would take until someone mentioned that song? I started to put the video on the blog post this morning, but I didn't.

Should have known it would be the Colorado Cupcake who would stir up the magic of memories using her magic wand of music.

I appreciate you dropping by, Lady. I really do...!

Myrna's adventures said...

HermitJim - yes interesting info about herbs. Presently I am growing a rosemary plant inside - I love the smell of it !! Not sure what I am going to do with it - yes I know I can use it for cooking !! - but in the meantime I just go by it and rub my fingers on it which releases the smell... and I almost get high!! Good for me - and I don't think it is dangerous. Maybe you will write about rosemary soon.