Sunday, March 15, 2009

Being Old Revisited...!

I'm sure that I've posted this, or a variation of it, before...

I wanted to post it again because, first of all, I like it! Secondly, I find it to be very true. It pretty much says just how I feel about getting older...

The other day a young person asked me how I felt about being old. I was taken aback, for I do not think of myself as old. Upon seeing my reaction, she was immediately embarrassed, but I explained that it was an interesting question, and I would ponder it, and let her know.

Old Age, I decided, is a gift.

I am now, probably for the first time in my life, the person I have always wanted to be. Oh, not my body! I sometime despair over my body, the wrinkles, the baggy eyes, and the sagging butt. And often I am taken aback by that old person that lives in my mirror (who looks like my mother!), but I don't agonize over those things for long.

I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly. As I've aged, I've become more kind to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend.

I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant. I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60&70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love ... I will.

I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set. They, too, will get old.

I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer the question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day. (If I feel like it)

Now, what say we get some fresh, hot coffee, my friend?

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like being older. The only down side is knowing what you chased was stupid, but then I guess we all still be chasing it?

HermitJim said...

Hey Jennersen...I have to say that I like being older as well. It sure beats the alternative...

Thanks for coming by, my friend!

Sue said...

I like getting older too! I wouldn't want to be a young person in todays materialistic society.
But, ya got it right about the saggy butt thing...LOL. I could have skipped that!

Rabbit Hill Farm said...

Beautiful post!

Grandpa Eddie said...

Getting old(er) isn't such a bad thing. You can look back and see the things you've accomplished, remember the kids growing up, and watch the grandkids grow.
And all the knowledge we've gained through our lives.....

.....and it sure the hell beats the alternative, 'cause that dirt nap is forever.

Anonymous said...

Good morning Friend
What more can be said except Amen.
Please pass the pot.
JoJo

Anonymous said...

I looked and looked for your age...to see how "old" you were. You are intellegent, seem still have your wits about you, you can take care of yourself...Not old.

Have gray hair? Not old. I started to go gray at 23...I now own stock in Nice And Easy hair color LOL.

Still wiping your own bottom? Not old.

The only thing I would like is to lift some things back up where they belong, and erase some poor choices in my life.

I prefer the word mature....

Josselyn

Anonymous said...

Morning Jim;
Hell I thought 68 was middle age.
Make another pot

squire said...

We now get to look back and remember "the good old days" even though when we were living them they seemed anything but.

HermitJim said...

Hey Sue...the only thing worse to me than a saggy butt, is the fact that my belly is trying to keep up. I guess it is trying to balance things out.

Hey, thanks for the visit...


Hey Rabbit...thanks! I'm glad you liked it! Thanks for coming by as well!


Hey Eddie...getting older does have it's good points, the main one is the fact that we are getting older, and NOT faced with the alternative yet.

Thanks for the visit thios morning, friend!


Hey JoJo...thanks for the visit! One fresh cup coming right up...


Hey Josselyn...all are very valid points, my friend. I guess that the wisdom that comes with age, is indeed created by the foolish decisions of our youth.

Anyway, it sounds good! I really appreciate the visit this morning!


Hey Tony...I think that at 65, I'd have to agree with you. Middle age sounds about right to me!

My friend, I am really glad you dropped in this morning!


Hey Squire...isn't it funny how our memories can make the "good old days" seem better than maybe they were? But then, maybe that's the wqy it's supposed to be!

Your visit this morning is greatly appreciated...thanks!

Ken said...

...our age is only relative to the love in our hearts...love is 'youth',and from what i've witnessed,yer younger than most...


...GodBlessYaJim...

Stephanie in AR said...

True. We were discussing being 16 again, my answer - no way! you couldn't pay me to be 16 again! Some very strange looks but the reasons were similiar to your post. Being older is better...mostly.

HermitJim said...

Hey Ken...I really appreciate the kind words this morning. They mean even more coming from a friend like you, my man!

Thanks for the visit, and I'll see ya on the "front lines"!


Hey Stephanie...it's sad that so many people want to go back and be younder! If I remember correctly, when we WERE younger, all we wanted was to be "older!"

The only way I would go back, is if I could know what I know now...and if I could take my friends with me!

You know how much I look forward to your visits, my friend!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful post. Thank you for the reminder... I needed one today!

HermitJim said...

Hey SFChick...I can't thank you enough for the visit and for the kind words.

Always glad to be of service to my friends...!

CoyotePrime said...

Oh so true, HermitJim! Thanks for posting this, started my day off right. :-)

HermitJim said...

Hey Coyote...my pleasure. I am so glad you would take the time to drop in today for a visit!

Always good to see ya...

Unknown said...

Wonderful post. My new "roomie" works with the "elderdly" and we were talking when she came home tonight about how some people complain about getting older. I must agree that considering the alternative, I don't mind aging. I have missed your wonder writings. Keep up the good work. I love you!

HermitJim said...

Hey Sis...glad you could stop by tonight!

Hope the weather up there is treating you right...looks like Spring has pretty much sprung for us here.

Sure would like to get up for a visit, but won't be able to for a bit.

Tell your "roomie" hi for me, and I thank you for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

Bubba -

As the Bard said "With mirth and laughter, let old wrinkles come..." If was true then, so much more so now. I have, like you, come to appreciate my "mature" self, although my middle portion is a little more mature than I would like. Missed your ramblings, but remember you and Biff and your special times. Remember "Put a light in the Window"?

HermitJim said...

Hey Sis...I really appreciate yopu coming by. I guess that we might as well appreciate the age thing, as we can't stop the advance.

Yep, me and old Biff did some crazy things when we were younger! Wonder what ever happened to that guy?

Thanks for coming by, Sis...love ya!

ErinAndBrad said...

I truly enjoyed this post HJ - thank you! I, too have earned every gray hair on my head - although Loreal does a great job hiding it! I would not be young again either - too much silliness about nothing in my opinion! I like being older - know who I am and what I stand for - not following others.

HermitJim said...

HeyEJ...glad you enjoyed the post! I know what you mean aboput earning the grey hairs...I guess the saying that youth is wasted on the young is true!

Hey, I appreciate you dropping by!