Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Ode To The Chicken...!

Since it's Spring, I thought I'd post a little poem I wrote back in the 1990s about chickens...

I was raising chickens at the time, or they were raising me...you know how that is. Anyway, I had about 2o or so running around free. It was a learning experience, let me tell you!


The Chicken

You ever watch a chicken?
It's really hard to do!
All the time you're watching them
They're also watching you.

You ever feed a chicken?
Boy, it's really fun!
Doesn't matter what it is
Just throw it down and run!

You looked close at a chicken?
You know, they have no ear
But start to talk of eating one
And watch them disappear!

You ever counted chickens?
I tried with no success.
They move too much, they won't be still
I finally had to guess!

You ever talked to chickens?
Man, don't even bother!
They will never answer back
Not even if you holler.

You ever cross a chicken?
You make one mad, you'll see
They'll gang up and fertilize
Right where you need to be!

You ever train a chicken?
I think they're inept.
The only thing that mine have learned
Is where their feed is kept!

You smarter than a chicken?
You're not, I'll bet a dime!
I'll bet that you can't lay an egg.
A hen can, all the time!

You gotta love the chicken
And all the things they do.
Roosters crow and call the Sun!
I can't, friend, can you?

You want to buy a chicken?
I'll give you some for free!
I got a feeling here of late
They're staring more at me!

You want to watch a chicken?
It isn't hard to do
As long as you don't mind too much
That they are watching you
!

I had folks ask me what kind of chickens I was raising. LOUD! That's what kind! Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the little poem this morning.

Now, let's get a fresh cup of coffee, my friend!

22 comments:

Sue said...

Very cute!
Do you ever miss em?

Ken said...

...poems about chickens !?...cool...now i think all bases are covered...lol

Anonymous said...

Chicken shit-Priceless

Lydia said...

Hi Jim,

This has to be the first ever chicken poem I have read! It's funny and so true! My parents used to have chickens and roosters. And YES they were so LOUD. One of their roosters had his timing so confused. He crowed whenever it felt right to him, which was almost all the time!
Didn't get much sleep when visiting that's for sure, but we did get plenty of eggs. All colors too.

That was fun to read, thanks!
:)
lydia

HermitJim said...

Hey Sue,,,I think the only thing I miss is the fresh eggs! Have to admit, they were a lot of fun to watch!

Thanks for the visit!


Hey Ken...that should do it, my friend! Don't want to leave out anything!

Thanks for coming by!


Hey Tony...that about says it all!

Thanks for dropping by today!


Hey Lydia...funny how you get used to them over time. I do miss the eggs!

I appreciate you coming by!

Anonymous said...

Good morning Jim,
That was great and a fun way to start the day. After a few cups it will be time to hitch up and load the camper for tomorrows great escape and adventure. Instead of hearing chickens it will be coyotesm of course I hear them at home all the time just not so many.
JoJo

HermitJim said...

Hey JoJo...sounds like a lot of fun! Wish I was going with you. Coyotes can sing you to sleep pretty well...

Enjoy it! Thanks for stopping in, my friend!

Maitreya said...

That was a great poem!
I love chickens (not roosters though)
Think I'll have a farm fresh egg for breakfast, along with my coffee of course.
Thanks for the smile!

scoutinlife said...

Got caughtt talking to my chickens last week by the girlfriend! She laughed her butt off! Great poem Jim!

HermitJim said...

Hey Maitreya...good to see you this morning. Nothing like a fresh egg or two or breakfast or anytime really!

The van seems to be progressing nicely! You do good work!

Thanks for the visit today!


Hey Scout...I think all of us that have animals talk to them from time to time. If that makes us strange, then so be it!

Besides, it's always nice to give folks a bit of a smile sometimes!

I sure do thank you for coming by!

Catman said...

Chickens,

Funny looking critters...but good eating.

HermitJim said...

Hey Catman...and a source of endless entertainment, as well!

Thanks for coming by for a visit and a cup, my man!

Felinae said...

Good Morning, :)

I liked your poem, it was cute. My Dad had chickens when I was growing up. My mom would not go out and feed them, she was afraid of them. heehee :D

Have a great day, I'm off to get another cup of coffee.

Smiles~Felinae~

Stephanie in AR said...

Love my chickens! Best laugh is watching them try to outrun each other to the treat.

When the sil first started coming around he listened to a little ditty about chickens the kids & I had made up. Didn't scare him off but did let him know what he was in for.

HermitJim said...

Hey Felinae...glad to see you this morning! A lot of people are afraid of chickens, I guess. Don't know why, but I suppose because they are aggressive about being fed.

Hey, I appreciaste yo taking tiume to visit this morning!


Hey Stephanie...boy, can they run FAST going to a treat! I got a lot of enjoyment out of the chickens while I had them...only wish I knew then what I know now!

That's always ther case, huh?

Thanks, Steph...for coming by!

Anonymous said...

LOL! Thanks, I needed a good laugh right now!!

HermitJim said...

Hey TonyG...good to see ya tonight! Glad I could bring a smile. If we could all laugh a little each day, the world would look a little better!

Hey, thanks for stopping by!

Preparedwarrior said...

Hi Hermit!!

I have been thinking about raising some chickens. If I do, it will set the neighborhood's hair on fire. I figure I will introduce the neighbors only to layers so the noise factor will be less.

I think I am just about ready to get back into the blogging thing. My situation has smoothed out. But let me say that if the world ever comes to torches and pitchforks, there is one government office in this state that will experience my no prisoners approach. I feel like I have been to hell and back on the bare back of a camel. Literally, living hell for me.

Loved the chicken poem. I hear they all have individual personalities....just what I need around here...more personality.

Had enough coffee for the day, but thanks anyway.

Warrior

HermitJim said...

Hey Warrior...good to see you again! I been missing you!

I do hope you get into blogging again and I'm glad you are making a comeback! Please stay in touch, OK?

I really appreciate you coming by tonight, my long lost friend!

Noki said...

I've always loved that poem. Of all the ones you've written that I've read, that's gotta be my favorite.

Hugs,
Ashley

Unknown said...

I like your poetry anytime but this is great!!

SJacobus said...

This was awesome. Great poem!