Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Passing The Time Productively...!


Like I told you yesterday, I had to go to the VA for some blood test.

There was a very long wait because of the number of patients, so all of us waiting had to come up with some way to pass the time! Some of those waiting were with companions so they could carry on a conversation, some just carried on a conversation with themselves...which is not an uncommon sight at the VA.

Many that had books read, some napped, and more than a few of us just sort of stared off into space! Again, staring off into space is not uncommon in the waiting room at VA.

One thing about just staring blankly off into space, it allows you to mentally come up with some strange thoughts that you can share with those friends and family that are someplace other than the waiting room at the VA. Trust me...sharing strange thoughts with the folks at the VA could lead to a more extended stay, perhaps in a room with some nice soft padding on the walls!

Now that we are miles away from those nice folks at the VA, I thought I might share some of the things I came up with, while staring off into space in the blood lab waiting room. Just a few definitions that might be of interest to some of you.

ADULT:
A person who has stopped growing at both ends and is now growing in the middle.

BEAUTY PARLOR:
A place where women curl up and dye.

CANNIBAL:
Someone who is fed up with people.

CHICKENS:

The only animals you eat before they are born and after they are dead.

COMMITTEE:
A body that keeps minutes and wastes hours.

DUST:
Mud with the juice squeezed out.

EGOTIST:
Someone who is usually me-deep in conversation.

GOSSIP:
A person who will never tell a lie if the truth will do more damage.

HANDKERCHIEF:

Cold Storage.

INFLATION:

Cutting money in half without damaging the paper.

MYTH:

A female moth.

MOSQUITO:

An insect that makes you like flies better.

RAISIN:
Grape with a sunburn.

SECRET:
Something you tell to one person at a time.

SKELETON:

A bunch of bones with the person scraped off.

TOOTHACHE:

The pain that drives you to extraction.

TOMORROW:
One of the greatest labor saving devices of today.

YAWN:

An honest opinion openly expressed.

WRINKLES:
Something other people have. You have character lines.

Now, before you get all worried about me and break out the white jackets with their funny fit, I should mention that I don't think I made all these up on my own! I'm pretty sure that I've heard most of them somewhere else and just recalled them as I sat passing the time by blankly staring into space as I waited my turn in the waiting room at the VA.

They may, in fact, have been quietly whispered to me by the voices I sometimes hear while blankly...well, you know the rest! Just wanted you to know, OK?

Now, how about some fresh coffee in the kitchen? I'll tell you the latest joke the voices told me!

13 comments:

Catman said...

I identify with "adult". I'm trying to undo it.

HermitJim said...

Hey Catman...
I certainly hear ya on that one, buddy!

Seems to be a everyday thing for me!

Hey, thanks for coming by today!

Anonymous said...

Yep, I spent time at the VA yesterday also. Listening to old wealthy bastards bitch about having to wait for service. Meanwhile I'm thinking about how gratefull I am for the free medical !

Spud

Momlady said...

What Catman said.

Rae said...

I can identify with the wrinkles. Cute post.

Dizzy-Dick said...

Hey, I am fed up with a lot of people, does that make me a cannibal?

JoJo said...

LOL these are great and I am not worried about you at all. I talk to myself because I think I have the best answers to my questions.
it is 28 here so some nice fresh coffee in your kitchen sounds wonderful.

Sixbears said...

The voices in my head keep telling me I'm sane.

HermitJim said...

Hey Spud...
Makes me extremely happy that their service is available to me!

They have always done me right! This time of the year, there just seems to be a lot more folks waiting than usual, but many of them have to come from out of state.

I don't know what I would do if the VA wasn't around!

Hey, thanks for the visit today!


Hey Momlady...
I think we may be fighting a losing battle on that one! Guess it sorta goes with the territory!

Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Rae...
You mean all of the "character lines"? Don't worry, I've got quite a few myself!

Sure is nice of you to drop in today!


Hey Dizzy...
I'm not sure, but I think in some cases we are just talking figuratively! At least, I hope so!

Appreciate the visit today, buddy!


Hey JoJo...
They say we are all OK as long as we don't start answering ourselves!

Really is cold everywhere, I think! Gonna try and stay inside today for the most part!

Thanks, sweetie, for coming by today!


Hey SixBears...
I'd sure listen to 'em, my friend! You seem pretty sane to me!

Thanks, buddy, for coming over today!

Jane said...

You are so funny! and I would have a cup of coffee with you any time, except I don't drink coffee. I liked your little sayings. Thanks for sharing. Blessings jane

HermitJim said...

Hey Jane...
Don't worry, we have both tea and hot chocolate for those non-coffee drinkers! I do have several folks that drop in that don't drink coffee, so we are good!

Hope you are staying warm enough, my friend!

Thanks for coming by today!

Marjie said...

That must be one hell of a set of blood tests if you have to sit there that long! I go for bloodwork once a month, and I go to an independent lab. I once had to wait for 10 minutes and was pretty honked off! Hope it all turns out fine for you.

HermitJim said...

Hey Marjie...
I think that because of there being about 400 folks in the lab for test, that's the reason there was such a long waiting time.

Steadily over the last couple of months, the number of patients at the VA has grown quite a bit. Seems to happen more in the colder weather for some reason!

The test itself doesn't take that long.

I really appreciate you coming by today!