Saturday, July 7, 2012

Happy Accidents Do Happen...!

Ever since I read this story over at History.com, the song has been running around in my head!

I'm sure you know what I mean! We all have had one or more songs like that from time to time! Anyway, I hope you find this interesting.

Jul 7, 1962:
"The Stripper," by David Rose, becomes the #1 pop hit in America

As points of shared cultural reference, certain pieces of movie and television soundtrack music have become nearly indispensable to our modern existence. The theme from The Twilight Zone, for instance, is used to indicate the occurrence of a spooky coincidence. Or the theme from Jaws is hummed just as one person sneaks up behind another in a pool. When people sing the familiar themes from famous movies like Psycho or Deliverance, they make an instantly understandable shorthand reference to a specific idea or emotion, without having to speak a single word. The same is true for a snippet of soundtrack from a very obscure 1950s television program called Burlesque. That piece of music by David Rose is to acts of old-fashioned striptease roughly what the theme from Rocky is to early-morning winter jogs. Composed in 1958 and released as a single four years later, the hammy tune called "The Stripper" became a #1 pop hit in the United States on July 7, 1962.

David Rose was a composer and arranger who had a huge hit record back in 1944 with "Holiday For Strings," but who is better known as a prolific composer for television from the 1950s to the 1980s. While working on the short-lived television show Burlesque in 1958, Rose decided to score a dressing-room scene with music playing softly in the background as if barely audible from backstage. "So I wrote eight measures of strip music and forgot about it," Rose later told Billboard magazine.

Purely as a joke, Rose used a few spare minutes of studio time shortly thereafter to have the brass, the clarinets and the percussion section of his orchestra record a slightly extended version of what he still regarded as a silly throwaway. Rose had a handful of copies of the untitled number pressed on vinyl and handed out to orchestra members as novelty gifts, and that was the end of that. Until four years later, that is, when someone at his label, MGM Records, pulled the one-minute-and-55-second master recording out of the archives and had it put on the "B" side of Rose's string-orchestra version of "Ebb Tide." When a Los Angeles disc jockey flipped "Ebb Tide" and heard the piece now entitled "The Stripper," he thought it was so funny that he played it almost continuously during his program one day. Soon "The Stripper" was a regional, then a national #1 hit, and well on its way to becoming a permanent piece of American pop culture.

The first thing I did after posting this was to go to YouTube and find the song! I don't know if it helped or made it worse! I have to admit, this song still rocks!

Coffee on the patio this morning. I'll turn on the oldies station on the radio!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's funny how music can put us in to special moods :-) jaws is a classic of course and so is The twilight zone :-)
I had never heard about Burlesque or the title of the song but as soon as I read Your text I knew what music You meant :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.

Sixbears said...

So that's where it came from!

-and now I know the rest of the story.

Brewed up a big pot of Peruvian coffee this morning. Coffee by the window overlooking the lake as the deck is wet from a heavy rain last night.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks fit this story. And listening to the oldies station sounds like a great idea, HJ, make my cup light with sugar, please. Have a great weekend.

Gorges Smythe said...

Can't bring the tune to the front of my memory, guess I'll have to google it.

linda m said...

Always wondered who came up with that song. Now I know. Have a great weekend.

JO said...

Interesting information.
There are tiny birds in the trees singing the most beautiful song.
Coffee on the patio sounds good, I'll bring some peanut butter cookies.

HermitJim said...

Hey Sixbears...
Like so many other songs, it was merely an accident!

Sometimes life can be strange!

Thanks, my friend, for coming over today!


Hey Beatrice...
One light with sugar coming up!

I listen to the oldies station more than nearly any other. Sign of my age, I reckon!

I sure do appreciate you dropping by today!


Hey Gorges...
I'll bet you know it as soon as you hear the start of it!

One of those tunes that stays around in your mind!

Thanks for the visit today, Gorges.


Hey Linda...
David Rose wrote so many pieces in his day.

Bet you know more than just one of his works.

Thanks for the visit this morning!


Hey JoJo...
I always enjoy hearing the birds first thing in the morning and early evening!

I really appreciate your visit this morning, sweetie!

Dizzy-Dick said...

Heck with the song I want to see the stripper video (grin).