Friday, May 5, 2017

How About Some Skull's Moss On Freaky Friday...?

Over the years, our knowledge of medicine has improved quite a bit, that's for sure.

Some of the old remedies seem to work, at least a little, but others are considerably questionable. In fact, more than a few are down right disgusting!

Skull’s Moss



The dubious curative powers of human skull extended to the mildew or moss that grew on unburied human skulls. Called usnea, it was found in plentiful supply on exposed skulls on the battlefield. Soldiers met the required violent end needed to maintain the “vitality,” or life essence, within the body. Somehow this soul essence was absorbed into the skull moss under the influence of “celestial orbs.”

Usnea was used extensively during the 17th and 18th centuries. As a powder, people stuffed it up their noses to stem nosebleeds or used it internally for wide-ranging concerns from epilepsy to menstrual problems. The “father of medicine,” Sir Francis Bacon, proposed its use as part of a wound salve to be rubbed on a weapon. The idea was that rubbing the blade of the weapon would heal the wound it caused.

I hate to admit it, but the idea of taking something like this really turns me off, ya know? I think I'd rather be sick!

Coffee out on the patio this morning. It's gonna be a nice one!

8 comments:

linda m said...

Some of those old "folk" remedies might have worked but I wonder how many did more harm (in the long run) than they did good. Yet, there is a lot to be said for "folk medicinal remedies" than a lot of todays so called remedies. Look at all the side effects of todays medicine and how many drugs are being recalled or the company being sued. Makes you stop and think. Have a great weekend.

Momlady said...

While I have to take modern drugs I would rather do herbs or such. Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge it would take to treat myself. Were I a lot younger I believe I would take the time to learn. We're getting quite a bit of rain here. Guess it's to make up for last year's drought.

JO said...

I'm with you I don't want some dead persons mold rubbed onto my wounds or worse yet snorting the stuff.

Glad it will be nice at your patio cause it sure isn't going to be nice on my porch. We hit 100 yesterday and they say 102 for today.

HermitJim said...

Hey Linda...
Yeah, today some of the side effects can kill ya! I take as few medicines as possible except for aspirin.
Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Momlady...
I have no doubt that some of the older folk remedies were good, but like you said who has the time to learn them all. Something like that should be learned from an early age and it really is never ending.
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Jo...
Boy, guess when Summer gets here it's gonna be miserable up at your place. Better visit the mountains soon.
Thanks, sweetie, for dropping by today!

Dizzy-Dick said...

Maybe if we knew all about the medicines we take today, we may find out that they may be worse than back in those days.

HermitJim said...

Hey Dizzy...
I'm afraid that you are right about that, my friend.
Thanks for the visit today!

Sixbears said...

The medicine didn't do any good for the skull it was growing on.

HermitJim said...

Hey Sixbears...
Yeah...I'm afraid it was a case of too little, too late!
Thanks for stopping by today!