Tuesday, May 16, 2017

I'm Back With A Story About The "Arm Pit..."

First of all, let me thank everyone for all the good wishes and positive thoughts sent my way over the last couple of days! It means a lot when you are under the weather.

Now this arm pit isn't the kind that belongs to the guy on the bus that you wish wasn't sitting next to you. Instead it's another example of how men can come up with some strange ways of putting the hurt on their fellow men.

A Pit Of Amputated Arms



Photo credit: phys.org

A team working in France found a horrible glimpse into our past: seven severed arms that had been brutally hacked off and thrown into the bottom of a pit 6,000 years ago.

The people whose limbs were buried there, the archaeologists believe, were farmers—although one was torn off the body of a child. After their arms were thrown into the pit, dozens of full bodies were piled on top of them. Their arms were still intact, but their skulls had caved in.

It’s not clear exactly what happened to these people. The only thing we know for sure is that a horrible massacre happened here. Only losing an arm, the researchers believed, may have been a mark of social status—a more merciful penalty for living with a tribe that was to be wiped out.

The rest is unclear. We don’t know who killed them or why their arms were removed. This pit, though, along with others like it, supports the idea that life in 4000 BC was often brutal and violent.

I'm sure glad that I didn't live back then, that's for sure! Whatever these poor farmers did, it must have pissed someone off big time!

Thanks again to all out there that sent me all the good wishes. That's why I consider you all my special friends! Coffee out on the patio this morning! Cookies for everyone!!

7 comments:

Momlady said...

Very glad to read you are doing better! As for the arm pit..ugh. Just goes to show that man started with the violence early. A little early for cookies for me, but coffee sounds good. It's gonna be another hot one.

linda m said...

So happy you are doing better. Wow, those guys sure were brutal. Loosing an arm would make it very difficult to hunt/farm, back them. Might have been some form of punishment and meant you got to starve to death instead of being outright killed. Don't know, just glad I didn't live back then. Thanks for th coffee and cookies. It's going to be a hot one here today.

Rob said...

6000 years ago.. brutalized, murdered & tossed in a hole in the ground. I'm living in the Golden Age!

JO said...

I'm so happy you are feeling well again. Missed reading your blog.

I wonder if the hacked arms were because they stole something. Back then life was horrible and barbaric.

I'm ready for some coffee and cookies with my Special Friend. Weather here isn't bad at a high of 83 as long as the winds quit.

HermitJim said...

Hey Momlady...
Just a small step up from the first humanoids beating each other in the head, right? Don't worry...I'll eat your share of the cookies! I can never seem to get my fill, ya know?
Thanks for stopping by today, my friend!


Hey Linda...
Even in the best of times, living back then had to be rough compared to today! You are welcome for the cookies, believe me. Seems like the least I could do!
Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Rob...It would certainly seem that way, wouldn't it? I agree!
Thanks for the visit this morning, buddy!


Hey Jo...
I'm flattered that you missed me and just know that the feeling is mutual! Reading the comments from everyone is like catching up, ya know?
Thank you for the kind thoughts, sweetie, and for being there for me!


Terry said...

Glad you are better and back posting.

HermitJim said...

Hey Terry...
Believe me, I am glad as well ! I missed you guys and even missed the posting I attempt.
Thanks for dropping by today!