Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Sitting Bull And Annie Oakley On Western Wednesday...

Just when you think you might know all about some of the figures of the Old West, some little bit of history pops up to surprise you.


Chief Sitting Bull considered Oakley his adopted daughter.

Eight years after the Battle of the Little Bighorn, the Lakota Sioux leader who orchestrated the defeat of General George Custer’s troops attended one of Oakley’s performances in St. Paul, Minnesota, in March 1884. Mesmerized by her marksmanship, the Native American chief sent $65 to her hotel in order to get an autographed photograph. “I sent him back his money and a photograph, with my love, and a message to say I would call the following morning,” Oakley recalled. “The old man was so pleased with me, he insisted upon adopting me, and I was then and there christened ‘Watanya Cicilla,’ or ‘Little Sure Shot.’” In addition to a nickname that followed Oakley the rest of her life, Sitting Bull also reportedly gave her a pair of moccasins that he had worn at Little Bighorn. The two became even closer friends the following year when Sitting Bull joined Buffalo Bill’s Wild West show for a four-month stint. “He is a dear, faithful, old friend, and I’ve great respect and affection for him,” Oakley wrote of Sitting Bull.

Seer what I me3an? History cxan be chock full of surprises. No wonder it's so much fun to study!

Coffee outside on the patio this morning. The contractors are still working inside today!

5 comments:

linda m said...

I had no idea that Annie Oakley even knew Sitting Bull or that he "adopted" here. Thanks for a wonderful history lesson.

HermitJim said...

Hey Linda...
Amazing what history turns up from time to time, isn't it?
Thanks for stopping by today!

JO said...

I knew they knew each other but not the rest of this story. Why wasn't that written in the book I read. That really gets me, if your going to write about someone don't leave out some facts.

They must be doing some extensive work in the bathroom or is there more to this redo sounds interesting. See you on the patio

Unknown said...

I don't recall especially liking history when I was in school but I do find it interesting now. I didn't know this either. Informative, as always. Thanks, Bubba.

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
It's the little details that makes the story interesting. Wonder why they didn't include it?
Thanks for dropping by today, sweetie!


Hey Sis...
I didn't care for it much in school either, but they didn't begin to cover history very well.
I actually love doing research on this stuff, as I always learn something new!
Thanks for thew visit today!