Thursday, July 27, 2017

How About Some Shakespeare...?

You probably don't think you know much Shakespeare, but I'd be willing to bet that you have used one or more of the phrases that he came up with. Wanna bet?

Here is a partial list of the phrases he used in some of his plays. I'm sure you are familiar with a few of them.

Words that Shakespeare Invented

Here are some common words that first appeared in Shakespeare’s plays and their meanings:

Auspicious – favorable; promising success; a good omen. A wedding is an example of an auspicious occasion.

Baseless – without a foundation; not based on fact. If you accuse someone of wrongdoing, make sure that you have support to back up your claim and it is not a baseless accusation.

Barefaced – shameless; without concealment or disguise. When someone tells a 'barefaced lie' it is not a very good one and you immediately know it is not true.

Castigate – to punish harshly. Sometimes celebrities and politicians are castigated in the press more harshly than ordinary citizens.

Clangor – a loud (clanging) sound. Ghosts are sometimes said to be followed by the loud clangor of chains.

Dexterously – skillful, especially in the use of one’s hands (or also one’s mind). A good carpenter can dexterously build a bookshelf very easily.

Dwindle – to get smaller; diminish. Often used to describe money. Many people’s savings dwindle after losing a job.

Multitudinous – a lot; a great number. You are in luck if you can say that you have a multitudinous amount of friends.

Sanctimonious – pretending to be very religious or righteous. Sometimes people who judge others harshly are sanctimonious.

Watchdog – a person or group that keeps close watch to discover wrong or illegal activity. A popular watchdog group is PETA, which exposes wrongful actions against animals.

See? You actually know more Shakespeare than you thought. Pretty smart fella, don't you think?

Coffee in the kitchen again this morning, but I have some gingersnap cookies I'll share!

6 comments:

Hermit's Baby Sis said...

Well, Bubba, we both enjoyed our Shakespeare, but I certainly did not know he came up with that auspicious list of verbiage. (Look that one up, huh?)
Thanks for the fun this morning! Big hugs ~

linda m said...

Yup, I've used a word or two from that list. Never knew that I knew so much Shakespeare. Great page this morning. So humid here this AM that I can't see out the windows due to they are all fogged up.

JO said...

Well now I now a few more words and from a great man.

When I let the dog out at 5 am the humidity was so bad I backed into the house and watched through the window to let him back in. So yes coffee in the kitchen.

HermitJim said...

Hey Sis...
I was amazed when I saw the list of words and phrases he came up with. The man was a true wordsmith, for sure!
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Linda...
Knew more than you thought, right?
Thanks for coming over this morning!

Dizzy-Dick said...

Wow, I didn't know he invented those words. You always teach me new things. This time I leaned a lot.

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
Humidity here is kinda bad as well. Guess it goes with this time of the year.
Thanks for dropping by today!


Hey Dizzy...
He actually invented a lot more than a few. Close to 17,000, I believe. He was really something!
Thanks for the visit today!