Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Simple Cobbler For Simple Cook...

I think I've said before that cooking for one isn't easy or simple, especially if you want something like Mom used to make.

That's why I searched for a very simple cobbler recipe for peach cobbler that even I couldn't screw up. I found one over on YouTube that works just fine for me, so I thought I'd share it with you today. It makes a pretty good cobbler, if I do say so myself. I enjoyed it!

Begin by heating the oven to 350 degrees. That seems to be the best setting for me, but my oven is an old one...so you be the judge.

Start with one stick of butter. I melted mine in the microwave 'cause that was the easiest way for me.

Next, I opened one large can (28 0unce) of peaches and poured them in a 9 by 11 dish, juice aned all. No additional sugar was needed for me, but you may want to add some extra.

Next was one yellow cake mix spread out on top of the peaches. Don't worry if the cake mix doesn't want to mix in with the juice right now. Once that's done, pour the melted butter all over the cake mix, making sure you get it as even as you can, but this isn't a beauty contest, so looks aren't important. I sprinkled some cinnamon on top of the melted butter just because I like the way it taste!

Shove this mess in the oven and leave it for about 45 minutes or so, or until the cobbler is bubbly and slightly brown on top. Remove from the oven, let it cool off just a tad, then help yourself. If you want to top it with some ice cream, that will finish it off just right!

This is called a Dump Cake and you can find all kinds of recipes on the web and over at YouTube. Simple enough so even I can do it!

Coffee out on the patio this morning. Sorry, no cobbler left, so how about a cookie?

11 comments:

linda m said...

Sounds interesting and simple. Thanks for sharing the recipe; I'll have to give it a try.

Momlady said...

As you said, cooking for one.....
I'll have to try it and see how the grandkids like it.

HermitJim said...

Hey Linda...
Actually, it makes a good cobbler and you can use any type of fruit you have around.
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Momlady...
If they like pie, they should like this. Adding the ice cream certainly won't hurt.
Thanks for coming over today!

Unknown said...

Hey, Bubba, glad you found a recipe you like. Just goes to show doesn't have to be fancy to be good. I'll take a cookie, please and thank you. Love you.

HermitJim said...

Hey B...
Yeah, actually the recipe makes a good cobbler, so I'm going with an apple dump cake next. Maybe I'll use an apple spice cake mix with it.
Thanks for coming over today!

JO said...

Isn't it great to find all these simple recipes on line. And I see so many come across on FB from friends and family. But like you I leave off sugar with some as they really don't need any. Oh I just read your answer to your sis and that sounds really good too.

I'll take some coffee with you all this morning thank you

Unknown said...

I came back to tell you this works with canned pie filling, too. We sometimes use apple pie filling with a spice cake mix topping. Yum. Sounds like what you just said doesn't it? We just put butter pats on top. Hey, let's all get together and have a pot luck!!

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
One thing the net does offer is an abundance of good recipes I find that most don't really need extra sweetening, but how can I turn down seconds on dessert?
Thanks for dropping by today, my special friend!


Hey B...
Yeah, that's what I was talking about. Sounds good, ya know?
Thanks again for stopping by!

BarbaCat said...

I'm wondering how it'd turn out if one didn't use so much butter.
Perhaps just brush the top with melted butter...what'dya think?

HermitJim said...

Hey Barbar Cat...
Hard to brush the butter on powdered cake mix. Some folks did just put pats of butter on top, though. I just went with the easiest way for me, being lazy like I am.
Thanks for the visit today, my friend!

BarbaCat said...

I realized the problem with that after I posted it. Sheesh!
I can see making this using pats of butter as you suggest...much better.
Glad you caught that Oopsie. LOL!