Tuesday, June 19, 2018

History Of The Tin Can...!

To most of us , the thought about the origin of the tin can is non-existent. However, think how bear our pantry would be if we didn't have canned goods.

The tin can was first used much further back than most of us would have ever thought. Regardless of when it was invented, I can't imagine life without canned goods today.

Peter Durand
Tin Can



Photo credit: BBC

Peter Durand received the first patent for the tin can. However, Nicholas Appert from France was the first person to preserve food by packing it in glass jars. He would then cook the food for a few hours until it was sterilized.

Durand applied the same method with his tin can. He placed food in a container and sealed it. Next, he placed the container in cold water and gradually brought it to a boil. Finally, he opened the lid slightly and then sealed it again.

He originally got the idea from Philippe de Girard, also from France. Girard communicated his idea to Durand and used him as an agent to help patent it. However, Durand’s name was the only one visible on the patent, which was granted by King George III in 1810.

I got this surprising story from Listverse, so if there is a problem with it...blame them. I never knew it was patented that long ago.

Coffee out on the patio if it's dry enough, in the kitchen if it's not.

10 comments:

Mamahen said...

I had no idea either...interesting! I'll bring some blueberry muffins to share wherever we end up:))

HermitJim said...

Hey Mamahen...
Now that is certainly an idea I "can" get behind.
Thanks for stopping by this morning!

Rob said...

I was at Colonial Williamsburg last week and watched the tinsmith in action. He said a tin can was steel that's been dipped in tin, I'd never really thought about what a tin can was..
(He was making a tin cup)

I'm in Philadelphia this morning where it's been a bit warm & humid, a covered patio should work nicely this morning!

linda m said...

That is really interesting. I had no idea they have been around that long. Canned goods have been staple in our pantry's for a long time. Coffee wherever you want it sounds fine as do the blueberry muffins. See y'all soon.

HermitJim said...

Hey Rob...
Long long ago I went to Colonial Williamsburg. I enjoyed it a lot!
Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Linda...
I didn't know how long they had been around either. Glad to have them, though.
Thanks for the visit this morning!

JO said...

I was watching a program and it was about the tin cans of the past and they were very toxic it was a long time ago so my memory is not so sharp on it.

Coffee where ever and muffins sound great to me

Anonymous said...

No spoilers, but look up when the first can opener was invented.

Dennis the librarian shusher

Recycled Cottage & Garden said...


I read somewhere a few years back that they discovered a bunch of cans in a river that dated to the civil war. They opened one and tested it and the food was still unspoiled!

taminator013 said...

That is especially interesting to me since I spent 38 years in a lab that formulates coatings for cans among other things. The last project that I had was to come up with a new exterior coating for cans and ends that does not contain bisphenol A (BPA). When I retired back in 2014 it was approved for the interior and exterior of Pringles can ends. Not sure if they've ever sold any for other can or can end types since I left. The cool thing is that your article also mentioned canning food in jars. A salesman friend of mine at the company came up with the idea of trying it on Mason Jar lids and rings. I did a bunch of testing and it worked great. For all you home canners out there: If you have bought new lids or rings in the past couple years after about 2012 or 2013 it has my coating on it. Hey, I'm not too humble to brag..........

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
I'm sure that they weren't as safe as the ones we have today.Thanks, dear, for dropping by today!


Hey Dennis...
Surprisingly, I was planning a future post on just that very thing! You must be a mind reader.
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Recycled...
Not sure I would want to be the taste tester on that find.
Thanks for coming by today!


Hey Taminator...
Sounds to me as though you did a good thing and we thank you.
Thanks also for the visit today!