Tuesday, September 10, 2019

The Stone Roses...!

Nature is constantly surprising us with beautiful creations, and this one is certainly among the best. From Listverse here is the article of the Stone Roses.

Stone Roses



Photo credit: geologyin.com

Neither a stone nor a rose, a phenomenon found in Mexico and Tunisia (and, less commonly, in Arizona) is known as a “stone rose.” Formed from either gypsum or barite, these roses are produced as a result of evaporation when one or the other of these minerals binds with grains of sand in an arid, salt-rich environment.

With an average size of 10 centimeters (4 in) per petal, these roselike formations range in color that is directly related to how they were formed. The ones made in shallower locations typically produce amber petals, whereas deeper formations in a wider space often produce yellow or clear petals.

The unique shape of these roses is not the only unusual thing about them. Regardless of their color during the day or where they developed, all will glow the same opaque white color when placed under an ultraviolet light.

I'll admit, the thing is very pretty. I'd love to see one in person.

Let's take a chance and have coffee out on the patio this morning.

5 comments:

linda m said...

i would love to have one as a center piece on my table. Just think; roses that never die. Patio sounds great to me. I'll bring some crullers.

HermitJim said...

Hey Linda...
It would make a great centerpiece, that's for sure.
Thanks for stopping by this morning!

Mamahen said...

Wow..I would love to see one. patio it is and thank you Linda for the cruller:))

HermitJim said...

Hey Mamahen...
Like you, I want to see one!
Thanks for coming over today!

JO said...

I have seen these and they are beautiful! I believe it was somewhere at show just know they were in a case

Patio is fine with me been awhile.