Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Do You Really Want To Live Forever...?

For some reason, I started thinking about my own mortality today. Just feeling my age, I guess. I got to wondering about people that say they want to live forever...and my question has to be, why? I mean, stop and think about it for a minute. Living forever would mean that you would just continue to get older and older.

The way that I see it, the main problem with living forever is that unless the quality of our lives gets better as we age, or at least stays the same... then what are we accomplishing by extending our stay here on this plane? And what about our friends and family? Are they going to live forever with us? Will we suddenly turn around some day and realise that no one that we know is here anymore?

I am in no hurry to pass on. I do wish that I could still do the things I could do as a younger man, but I accept the limitations that Father Time has bestowed upon me. I can accept the fact that I am limited in the gift of time that I was given, and I hope that I have the wisdom to use that time wisely. I hope that if I am remembered at all, it will be for good things other than bad. I can't really think of a nicer thing anyone could say after I'm gone than "Remember ole Jim? He was a funny guy!"

I've been really fortunate that the people I know that are older than I set a good example for me to follow. I hope to do as they have done. All I want to do is to live my life with a certain amount of grace and dignity, be filled with a generous helping of health and humor, and to do as little damage to Mother Earth and my fellow travelers as possible. I hope to spread more joy than sorrow, to offer more support than stumbling blocks, to share more love than hatred, to cause more smiles than frowns, to be more friend that enemy, to find the music hidden in a rainy day, and until the day that I pass I hope to never lose the appreciation for the sunset or the sunrise.

I hope to always have a happy heart, a handful of friends, and a full pot of coffee to share with them.

5 comments:

xox-Missi Mi-xox said...

Heya Jim

What a nice piece.

I am one of those who is guilty of wishing to live forever .... I am intrigued about what will happen in another 100 years .. even more!

Will we be in space ships? What technology will be around, what will humans be like? I know many would hold no great light for a future of forever looking at the turmoil in todays world, but it would be so fascinating .. I mean what would the coffee be like? Would there even be any ?

I love the gift of life given to me ... I would rather be enjoyed than remembered. Then thats just fantasy land not taking into account the downside ... But since I cant live forever I have decided that 100 is a good age and if I dont make it that far then really what does it matter ... I already know Im blessed with beautiful people, memories and a happy heart.

My only hope is that I dont depart the planet leaving the beautiful people in any doubt of how much enjoyed having them pass through my life.

And Jim I think you will be remembered not just for being a funny guy but also very famously for that coffee you keep fresh for us to come for a smile. I'm offline in the next few hours for the next 4 days. Take care and catch you for another cuppa real soon.

HermitJim said...

Hey Missi...I'm sure glad you could drop by before going offline for a while. You're right about wanting to see what the technology will be like in the future. I can only imagine what the next 5 or 10 years will bring. Very exciting times to live in!

I guess that to bring enjoyment to others during our brief stay here is the best we can hope for. And that's not a bad thing at all.

Again, good luck on your move. Peace and love, Girl!

Noki said...

I can promise you that you'll be remembered fondly. I just want you to promise me that when I'm gone you'll remember me in a good way. Nanny, too. That is, I want her to remember me fondly, too. :-)

Hugs,
Ashley

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jim! That was truly wonderful. I have never read such a positive, sound and realistic approach to mortality. I have emailed it to friends, of course with a link back to you. Here's another slurp to you!

HermitJim said...

Hey mtngurl...thanks for dropping by and for the comment! Always a pleasure when a reader enjoys something that I write...after all, that's the whole point, isn't it?

I appreciate you emailing the post to friends. The more input I can get on things I am writing and in the way I write, the better I can become. At least, that's the plan!

Thanks again
Jim