Monday, March 7, 2011

Now This Is A Caring Father...!


There are many ways to show your love, and this is just one example.

With all the craziness going on in the world today, it's nice to run across a story like this for a change! This is a good case of making the best of the time you have left to do something for your family. I found this story over at FoxNews.com.

You might say that this is taking prepping to a whole new level! Prepping from the heart!

British Dad to Record 1,600 Words Before Losing Voice Forever

Published March 06, 2011

BOLTON, England -- A British man who will lose his voice because of disease said Sunday that he is recording thousands of words so he can continue to read his son bedtime stories.

Laurence Brewer, from Bolton, northern England, was diagnosed with motor neurone disease (MND) three years ago and expects to lose his speech as his condition worsens.

But the 43-year-old wants to ensure his son, Stan, will hear his father's "authentic" voice, complete with his regional accent, when he has to speak through a synthesizer.

Brewer, a university researcher, will have to communicate using technology similar to that used by Prof. Stephen Hawking, the British physicist who also suffers from MND.

Brewer will record 1,600 sentences for a computer program that will break them up into individual sounds and then piece them back together again to form words under Brewer's control.
Brewer said his inspiration for the project was his 13-month-old son.

He said, "He is the key motivation for me to record my voice so that if my voice is lost, he can still hear what his dad sounds like. I might be able to read him bedtime stories; your voice is part of your identity. He can maybe also hear what I sound like when I am no longer here."

I hope for the best for this man, and I know that some day his child will be able to really appreciate just what efforts his dad went through. Hearing bedtime stories in his father's own voice will be something memorable, without a doubt!

Coffee on the patio this morning, is that OK?

7 comments:

Sixbears said...

Having kids changes everything. The guy's losing his voice, yet what he thinks about is his kid. Wish him all the best.

vlad said...

Pig races every Friday next door to
the mosque Katy TX.
Y'all come!!

http://vlad-unclevlad.blogspot.com/

Phelan said...

Read about this th other day, thought it a wonderful idea.

Caddie said...

I've always pondered on this. Lost a recording of my 32 yr grandson when he was about 2 and still regret this loss.

Now here is a very caring father and human being, one who grabs the heart.

Felinae said...

What a wonderful thing to do for his son. I hope when the child is old enough to understand, he will appreciate what a caring, thoughtful father he had.

Coffee on the patio suits me just fine. Have a beautiful day, Uncle Hermit.

Hugs~Felinae~

Marjie said...

It is a nice story. I hope he remains in better condition than Stephen Hawking, so he can enjoy his son.

Kathie said...

What a heartwarming story, what a thoughtful father, how many times I have wished I had recorded some of the stories my Dad told. Some poignant, some hysterically funny, most of them true. His delivery was fantastic! They always cheered me up or made me think. This son will appreciate this so much in the future.