Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I Love Peanut Butter...!


Of course, those of you that read my blog very often already knew that!

However, I don't write about p.b. very often! So today, if Blogger will co-operate, I want to share a few facts about this wonderful stuff! All in all, it's pretty amazing!


PEANUTS & PEANUT BUTTER FUN FACTS

It takes about 540 peanuts to make a 12-ounce jar of peanut butter.

There are enough peanuts in one acre to make 30,000 peanut butter sandwiches.

By law, any product labeled "peanut butter" in the United States must be at least 90 percent peanuts.

Peanut butter was first introduced to the USA in 1904 at the Universal Exposition in St. Louis by C.H. Sumner, who sold $705.11 of the "new treat" at his concession stand.

In 1884, Marcellus Gilmore Edson of Montreal, Quebec was the first person to patent peanut butter.

Dr. John Harvey Kellogg, a physician wanting to help patients eat more plant-based protein, patented his procedure for making peanut butter in 1895.

Two peanut farmers have been elected president of the USA - Thomas Jefferson and Jimmy Carter.

Grand Saline, TX holds the title for the world's largest peanut butter and jelly sandwich weighing in at 1,342 pounds. Grand Saline outweighed Oklahoma City’s 900 pounds peanut butter and jelly sandwich in November 2010. Oklahoma City, OK had been the reigning champ since September 7, 2002.

Astronaut Allen B. Sheppard brought a peanut with him to the moon.

Tom Miller pushed a peanut to the top of Pike's Peak (14,100 feet) using his nose in 4 days, 23 hours, 47 minutes and 3 seconds.

Adrian Finch of Australia holds the Guinness World Record for peanut throwing, launching the lovable legume 111 feet and 10 inches in 1999 to claim the record.

As early as 1500 B.C., the Incans of Peru used peanuts as sacrificial offerings and entombed them with their mummies to aid in the spirit life.

Americans were first introduced to the Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup in 1928.

Peanut butter was the secret behind "Mr. Ed," TV's talking horse.

Arachibutyrophobia is the fear of getting peanut butter stuck to the roof of your mouth.

The oldest operating manufacturer and seller of peanut butter has been selling peanut butter since 1908.

The world's largest peanut butter factory churns out 250,000 jars of the tasty treat every day.

Ever wonder where the term "Peanut Gallery" comes from? The term became popular in the late 19th century and referred to the rear or uppermost seats in a theater, which were also the cheapest seats. People seated in such a gallery were able to throw peanuts, a common food at theaters, at those seated below them. It also applied to the first row of seats in a movie theater, for the occupants of those seats could throw peanuts at the stage, stating their displeasure with the performance.

Consumption Facts

The average American consumes more than six pounds of peanuts and peanut butter products each year.

The average child will eat 1,500 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches before he/she graduates high school.

Americans consume on average over 1.5 million pounds of peanut butter and peanut products each year.

Peanut butter is consumed in 90 percent of USA households.

Americans eat enough peanut butter in a year to make more than 10 billion peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

The amount of peanut butter eaten in a year could wrap the earth in a ribbon of 18-ounce peanut butter jars one and one-third times.

Women and children prefer creamy, while most men opt for chunky.

People living on the East Coast prefer creamy peanut butter, while those on the West Coast prefer the crunchy style.

Sixty percent of consumers prefer creamy peanut butter over crunchy.

Four of the top 10 candy bars manufactured in the USA contain peanuts or peanut butter.

Peanuts account for two-thirds of all snack nuts consumed in the USA.

Peanut butter is the leading use of peanuts in the USA.

Peanuts contribute more than $4 billion to the USA economy each year.

Americans spend almost $800 million a year on peanut butter.

Farming Facts

There are four types of peanuts grown in the USA — Runner, Virginia, Spanish and Valencia.
Peanuts are planted after the last frost in April or early May and heaviest harvesting months are September and October.

The peanut growth cycle from planting to harvest is 120 to 160 days or about five months.

The peanut plant originated in South America.

The peanut plant produces a small yellow flower.

Peanuts flower above ground and then migrate underground to reach maturity.

A mature peanut plant produces about 40 pods that then grow into peanuts.

Most USA peanut farms are family-owned and -operated.

The average peanut farm is 100 acres.

Pretty cool stuff, huh? I told ya so!

By the way, blogger wouldn't let me comment on the comments yesterday. Sorry about that, because I like to answer all the comments I get...when I can!

Coffee on the patio this morning! Can you smell the peanut butter cookies baking?

21 comments:

tffnguy said...

Shucks. With all of that said I'll have some late night peanut butter and crackers before hitting the rack. I wasn't hungry until I read that!

HermitJim said...

Hey tffnguy...
Funny, but peanut butter affects me the same way!

I think it makes me dream better! Besides, you don't have to be hungry to have some peanut butter!

Thanks, buddy, for coming by this morning!

Anonymous said...

All about the humble peanut. You might have a laugh at this post: http://thingsthatfizz.blogspot.com/2011/05/peanut-butter.html

Have a great day.

AV

Sixbears said...

I pity those poor people with allergies. My wife doesn't like the stuff, so those two jars we go through every week must be my doing.

Interesting post.

Anonymous said...

Those are some interesting facts, thanks for writing this up. I'm a peanut butter fan myself. And that jar is extremely tough - makes a good container for all sort of items around the house or when camping.

Makes a pretty decent canteen as is. Or use for cooling off water when placed in the ice chest, its capacity cools off pretty quickly in less than 30 minutes.

Baby Sis said...

Bubba -

Put me down for a couple of the pb cookies, please. Nothing I like better than anything with peanut butter - must run in the family, huh? I'll plan to bring you some more cookies on Saturday - you'll probably be out by then!

Big Hugs -

bigbadsis@gmail.com said...

I recently sampled White Chocolate Peanut Butter for the first time. It was very delicious...duh, why wouldn't it be?! In fact, the girls and I are planning to make some cookies today using it. As for me, I will take the plain, old-fashioned p.b. My favorite used to be crunchy but I like creamy best now. You never told me if you liked my p.b. cake.
Love you

Ben in Texas said...

Crunchy Peanut butter on a warm piece of toast makes a simple light snake. Crunchy for me. I often have it as a snack on club Crackers. BTW if kept in a cool out of the heat area, it does NOT have to be refrigerated . Much easier to spread. Ever put it on a piece of celery?

Dizzy-Dick said...

I have raised peanuts in the past. I told a new displaced Yankee about that and he wanted to know how big the trees were. Of course I told him they were not nuts but legumes, like peas or beans, an grew underground. I now prefer almond butter for taste and health reasons. My wife likes the creamy and I like the crunchy. You ought to try it.

Bob from Athens said...

I always thought peanuts were grown down around Georgia until I saw all the fields of them out around Abilene and north of there.

JoJo said...

A blog about my favorite food. I love them both crunchie and creamy. When I go camping I always make sure to bring some along. If anyting were to happen and you can't get home for some reason you have a protien packed food and of course a case of bottled water and some apples. Spread some peanut butter on apples for a snack yum.
OK so now for some coffee and those pb cookies. :D

Bob from Athens said...

What the Heck, is going on with blogger, I can post here, no problem, however trying to post on Ben's, it just keeps cycling me to the sign in screen?

HermitJim said...

Hey AV...
That's pretty cool! I thank you for the link and for dropping by today!

Glad you enjoyed it!


Hey Sixbears...
Sounds like you have as much admiration for p.b. as I do!

Guess we could be into a lot worse things, right?

Hey, thanks for coming over today!

HermitJim said...

Hey Anon 7:14...
I don't throw many jars and cans away, ever!

Just some pretty handy stuff...and good for you!

Thanks for coming by today.


Hey Sis...
You know me...I never turned down cookies! Especially peanut butter!

You can bet there will be a cookie shortage come Saturday!

Thanks for the visit today!


Hey B...
White pb is good, but I still like the original the best!

If you want something else that's pretty good, try some Nuttella! Made with hazelnuts and coco!

Good stuff!

Thanks for the visit and I hope the cookies turn out good!


Hey Ben...
Honey and peanut butter both keep without being refridgerated. Probably don't spoil either, but I don't leave mine alone long enough to find out!

I prefer the smooth now days! Don't know why!

Thanks, buddy, for coming by today!

HermitJim said...

Hey DD...
Interesting to watch the way that peanuts grow!

How tall the trees were? Had to chuckle a bit on that one! Guess folks just don't know unless you tell them!

Many thanks for coming by today, Dizzy!


Hey Bob...
I think the peanut is one of those things that can pretty much grow anywhere there is a moderate climate!

With such a long growing cycle, they probably need a long summer!

Thanks so much for coming by today!


Hey JoJo...
Yeah, pb is a must have for camping or in the back pack and B.O.B.

I think of it as "comfort survival food!"

I can get by pretty good with pb and crackers! Heck, now days I don't even need jelly! Sure is good with honey, though!

Like you say, it's good on sliced apples as well!

Thanks, sweetie, for coming by today!

Anonymous said...

If I put off eating too long and get shaky, I grab a few tablespoons of peanut butter and that does the trick. I also have a jar of peanut butter in each of our bug-out bags. It is heavy to pack, but a quick source of protein.

HermitJim said...

Hey Ruth...
I have been known to eat peanut butter right out of the jar! OFTEN!

I can't imagine NOT having some in my B.O.B. or back pack!

Thanks for coming by today!

IanH said...

Reading this post made me hungry! PB cookies or PB & honey sandwich coming up.

HermitJim said...

Hey Ian...
It does have a way of doing that, I know!

I like all the stuff you just mentioned! Now I'm hungry!

Thanks for the visit today!

TROUBLEnTX said...

My Dad had to end a meal with a sweet, n most of the time, was pb/honey. on crackers. I love it on apples n celery or just on bread. ummm ummm good, lol hagd

Anonymous said...

Peanut butter pemmican. Pound some jerky with whatever axe you have handy. Mix in some dried fruits with the peanut butter and jerky. It'll get you over the hill. It's good.

Mountain Rifleman