Friday, July 26, 2013

Can You Hear Me Now...?

This actually is something that I use nearly every day, so it's nice to know that it's pretty common!

So many things that we do without thinking about it turn out to be the correct way, even if we don't understand why. That's why it's interesting to find out the reason for some of our almost "automatic" activities.

Use Your Right Ear

If you’re having trouble hearing someone, what do you do? Most people crane their neck toward the speaker. As it turns out, that’s the perfect thing to do—but probably not for the reason you think. Most people are aware that the brain is split into two hemispheres. Each hemisphere is dominant in different areas, such as perceiving sound, and the left hemisphere is typically responsible for spoken language.

As it turns out, our right and left ears are are also dominant when it comes to different functions. The right ear is better at receiving speech than the left ear—which makes sense. Signals from the right side of the body end up in the left side of the brain. So next time you can’t hear someone, make sure you give them your right ear.

Now that I know the reason why I cup my right ear when trying to understand what my Mom is saying, I don't feel so bad. I told her about this article so that she would stop thinking I was just giving her a bad time about the tremor in her voice.

Coffee out on the patio today. You could hear that invite, right?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes!! Signals from the right side of the body end up in the left side of the brain.


Regards,
Kopi Luwak

Ron said...

Dad says I'm a half brain. What do I do?

Caddie said...

I have a permanent 'crick' in my neck from cupping and turning right ear to the speakers. Now what is a solution for that 'pain in the neck'?
I would like a cup w/cream and sugar for a change if you have plenty. I'll bring wheat toast, fresh butter and strawberry jam for all of us.

Anonymous said...

How interesting!
Now I know why I do like that and never with my left ear.

Have a great day!
Christer.

Chickenmom said...

I can hear a pin drop. It's darn annoying. If Hubby gets up before me I can hear the coffee maker button click when he turns it on. Was up early today - need a BIG pot of coffee!

linda m said...

How interesting. Always wondered why I had better hearing in my right ear than my left. Coffee outside sounds great. Have a great weekend.

Mamahen said...

Then there are ppl like me. I have permanent damage to my right ear, so must rely on what hearing I have in my left. Coffee in the fresh air sounds wonderful. Thanks for the invite!

HermitJim said...

Hey Kopi...
Always interesting to find out about this stuff!

Thanks for coming over today!



Hey OJD...
Did he say what half was missing? That would make a difference, for sure!

Many thanks for dropping by today!



Hey Sissy...
I'm afraid I don't have an answer for ya on that. Surprised that I don't have that pain also!

Thanks for the visit today!



Hey Crister...
Many of us never knew the reason for doing that. Now we do.

Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Phyllis...
I used to call that having "Mom hearing!" Moms always seem to hear the kids doing something wrong, ya know?

Guess it applies to more than one occasion.

Thanks for coming over this morning!



Hey Linda...
Does kinda explain a lot of things, doesn't it?

Well, now we know!

Thanks for the visit today!



Hey Mamahen...
Most humans learn how to adapt pretty quickly to solving these problems. Did that happen to you?

Hey, thanks for dropping by today!



Mamahen said...

Thank you for asking. Yes for the most psrt I have gotten along pretty well. I have noticed if I don't hear something and somone leans closer to repeat, they seem to always go for the right ear which for me is pointless. I wonder if this is because most people do hear better on the right, so thats the side they'rr drawn to by nature.