Thursday, January 16, 2014

Can You Hear Me Now...?

Sometimes we find that we don't have to spend extreamly high prices to have a better quality of life.

Here is a case where a company has begun making something that many of us need, but maybe not been able to afford...until now!

Bluetooth Hearing Aids



The ability to hear is a wonderful thing. Sadly, many people don’t have it. It is estimated that around 300 million people around the world suffer from some form of hearing impairment. In the United States alone, as much as 20 percent of the population report some degree of hearing loss. Although the condition is manageable through hearing aids, a lot of people simply can’t afford them. With the device costing up to US$4,000 a pair, spending money on hearing aids just wasn’t an option for many—until now.

Sound World Solutions, a Chicago based company, has created a prototype of hearing aids that use one of the most common technologies today—Bluetooth. It functions just as clearly as other hearing aids, but unlike conventional models, the Bluetooth hearing aids can be easily adjusted using your smartphone. The volume, treble, bass, and all the other sound options of the hearing aids can be attuned with a slide of a finger, eliminating the numerous visits needed to constantly readjust the device. The best part is that, at only US$300, more patients will now be able to afford the ability to hear.

I find it very comforting that some businesses out there are still trying to improve the quality of life for people, and are not placing the profit before the need.( Does that make sense the way I said it?) Anyway, I think this is a very good thing!

Let's have our coffee in the kitchen this morning. I have gingerbread in the oven, and I need to watch it!

9 comments:

Chickenmom said...

What a great idea! So many cannot afford hearing aids. Wonder if the price will come down on the expensive ones? Your kitchen must smell wonderful with the scent of gingerbread - make a big pot of coffee for us!

texasann said...

Bubba - I'd be willing to try this. I already wear earphones to watch tv, and know I need help to hear, but not quite badly enough to spend $4000. And Medicare does NOT pay for hearing aids. I'll be anxious to hear more about this Bluetooth idea...
Big hugs -

linda m said...

That is a really good idea. A nice warm kitchen smelling like gingerbread sounds great.

BBC said...

I would like to not see and hear so much.

Life is uncertain, eat dessert first.

Dizzy-Dick said...

Four grand is better than the five grand I paid here in Conroe!! Now they are worn out and I need new ones but am bulking at, what seems to me, way too high of a price. They said they could fix them for five hundred bucks but the fix would only last about six months. That is OK, I have been practicing a lot by saying "huh?" after everything someone says to me. . .

JO said...

The price is so much better if you have a smartphone. A smart phone is pretty expensive in its self but still no where near as a set of hearing aids.

I bet your kitchen really does smell great this morning. I'll bring some fresh ground coffee to share this morning.

Mamahen said...

Well this is something I will need to check out since I fall into the much in need of but not able to afford category....and I agree with CM can almost smell that gingerbread now:))

deb harvey said...

could you buy the aids and get a friend with a smart phone to set them for you?

Linda said...

That is really a good price. But, a person with limited resources might not be able to afford a smart phone or monthly service either. I wonder if they will realize that the hard of hearing might also be elderly and not accustomed to the technology of a smart phone. Just thinking. Thanks for this post. I have a friend who could use this information.

Yes, I do think it is a good thing that people/businesses put the welfare of people before profits.