Monday, May 5, 2014

Dighton Rock On Monday Mystery...!

Once in a while, we get a real, honest-to-goodness strange mystery here that seems almost unsolvable. You know the kind I mean, don't ya?

This is one that you can actually go and see! Who knows, you might even be tyhe one to solve it! Wouldn't that be something?

Dighton Rock



The Dighton Rock, known for its puzzling petroglyphs, stands as one of the greatest mysteries in Massachusetts. The 40-ton boulder that once jutted out of the Taunton River, close to Dighton, Massachusetts, has stirred up all sorts of speculation over its inscriptions for close to 300 years. Investigators have attempted to decode the odd glyphs since an English colonist first described the boulder in 1680, but they have had little success.

In 1963, state officials removed the boulder and kept it for preservation. The Dighton Rock State Park was established in 1980 by the state of Massachusetts. Now, the rock remains in the museum there, just as mysterious as it was centuries ago.

Multiple theories exist today on who carved into the stone, but none have been conclusively proven. Most scholars say the stone and its strange carvings are of Native American origins, as similar stones have been reported in Vermont and other nearby states. Some of the wilder theories have proposed that it was the work of the Portuguese, Chinese, or even the ancient Phoenicians.

It would be nice to find out more about who actually did the carving of the rock, but then we would be left without a good mystery to ponder. I think sometimes we need to have a few of those, ya know?

Coffee out on the patio this morning. How about some pork sausage and gravy?

11 comments:

Chickenmom said...

'Hope it stays a mystery. Like a magic trick: once your know how it's done, it's not fun anymore.
I'll bring fresh biscuits to go with your pork sausage and gravy!

linda m said...

I always love a good mystery. I agree with Chickenmom - I hope it stays a mystery. We finally had 2 days of sunshine and no rain. Yay!!!! Cloudy again today so coffee outside sounds good to me.

JO said...

Now that does sound very mysterious.
which the picture was better.

Such a beautiful morning to sit out. Pass the pot please.

HermitJim said...

Hey Phyllis...
I have to agree with you. Knowing isn't always better!

Thanks for coming over today!



Hey Linda M...
@ days of sunshine...that's a good thing!Glad you enjoyed the mystery!

Thanks for stopping by today!



Hey Jo...
If you click on the picture, it gets bigger!

It is a nice day for being outside!

Thanks, sweetie, for dropping in today!

Mamahen said...

Love a good mystery! Breakfast sounds good too...Save me a seat and i'll bring some honey for anyone who wants some with their biscuit :))

Dizzy-Dick said...

Oh how I love sausage gravy and biscuits!! I also love your mysteries. Keep up the great work, Jim.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Another good mystery is the Heavener Runestone here in Oklahoma. It's a stone carved with Viking runes that no one has been able to agree on the translation yet. Another REALLY good one is back east, Rhode Island I think. There used to be a boulder carved with Viking runes in a little cove there. I say -was- the boulder was apparently STOLEN a year or so ago!

I have good honey from my dad's beeyard. Pass the biscuits and the gravy please!

HermitJim said...

Hey Mamahen...
I think that nearly everyone loves a good mystery! I know I do!

Honey is always good to have around! Love it on everything!

Thanks for coming over today!



Hey Dizzy...
I kinda figured you for a gravy and biscuit man!

Thanks so much for dropping by today!



Hey Meredith...
It's amazing to me that we have these things all over the country, yet know so little about them!

Thanks for the extra honey and for coming over today!

Anonymous said...

Lots of people went over to Your continent long before Columbus so it could be anyone really even if the idea that it's native Americans is most likely.

But the best mysteries shouldn't be solved really :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.

Sixbears said...

Another one not all that far from me. I went down the rabbit hole looking for more info. Thanks Hermit.