Monday, June 30, 2014

Ancient Texas Artwork For Monday Mysteries...!



We all love a good mystery, right? We seem to be especially fascinated by some of the artwork left by our ancient ancestors.

Trouble is, there are sometimes problems that come from trying to understand just what these pieces of art mean. There, my friends, lies the mystery! I think that if you study this drawing I found over at Listverse, you'll see what I mean!

 

White Shaman Rock

04
Photo credit: National Parks Service

The ancient cultures of the Americas still hold many secrets, and one way to decode them is by studying rock paintings. Near the Pecos River in Texas’s Lower Pecos Canyon is one of the oldest and most significant of these paintings—the White Shaman. A 7-meter (24 ft) artwork dated to over 4,000 years ago, the White Shaman is thought to offer information regarding an ancient lost religion

Controversy surrounds the rock painting’s meaning. Up until recently, most archaeologists agreed that the artwork depicted five human figures in battle or during a pre-battle ritual. However, one archaeologist now claims it shows people communicating with the spirit world, specifically through the use of peyote

My take on this is that the artist was definitely on something, or was a really bad artist! What do I know, though? They might have been considered quite good by their tribe, ya know?

Coffee out on the patio this morning. It's already heating up, but we have plenty of shade for now.

6 comments:

Mamahen said...

Looks like the stick ppl were worshipping the larger figures but hey what do I know....think they may be on to something saying peyote was involved :))

Chickenmom said...

Interesting - going to look that one up! How about I bring a big bowl of fruit salad?

linda m said...

I know the Native Americans used ( and probably still do) peyote for their "vision dreams" so peyote is probably the best reason for this painting. It is an interesting piece tho. Would be fun to actually be able to interpret it. Starting to heat up around here also so I'll join you out on the patio before my wind and rain start again.

Dizzy-Dick said...

I think the artist had a premonition that the white man was going to be a large influence on their future (grin). Heck, I have no idea what it means. I also see the head of a large bird at the bottom of the picture. Maybe they had been watching Sesame Street. . .

JO said...

I find Indian works very interesting While their beliefs and sights come from peyote they where driven by many spirits. I find their beliefs very interesting.
But like all things beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Pass the pot please nice mornings don't last long.

HermitJim said...

Hey Mamahen...
Sounds about right to me. As good a guess as any!

Thanks for coming over today!



Hey Phyllis...
I figured you would look it up. Maybe they have some new idea's about the painting.

Thanks for dropping by today!



Hey Linda M...
Couldn't be as bad as some of the stuff folks use today! At least it's all natural, right?

Thanks for the visit this morning!



Hey Dizzy...
They more than likely had those nightmares without much help from the magic mushrooms!

Thanks for stopping in today!



Hey Jo...
Lots of this type of painting in your neck of the woods, right?

Thanks, sweetie, for coming over today!