Saturday, August 29, 2015

One Ringy-Dingy...!

Remember the character of the switchboard operator on the show Laugh-In? She used to say that that all the time.

The history of the telephone operators is actually quite different than you might think. Here is a little information from Listverse that will fill in the early history of telephone operators.

Telephone Operators

In the early days of the phone, people couldn’t simply dial a number and expect to be connected. Instead, they would first call their telephone operating center, where a telephone operator would manually operate a switchboard to route the call to the intended recipient. A particularly complicated call might require up to six operators furiously plugging switches into wall-sized switchboards.

The first call operators were young teenage boys. Telephone companies knew that working a switchboard was hard work and thought teenage boys would have the dexterity, energy, and reflexes needed. More importantly, they were cheap.

Unfortunately, there were some predictable problems with employing only teenagers. The boys soon developed a reputation for playing practical jokes on callers, including ending their calls without warning and deliberately connecting two strangers together to enjoy the resulting confusion. They also had a tendency to swear at customers and were known for fighting and drinking alcohol while working.

The whole thing was such a disaster that Bell eventually fired all of its teenage male operators en masse, replacing them with young women, who were considered more genteel and equally cheap. Other telephone companies followed suit and men only became operators again after equal rights legislation was passed in the 1970s.

Probably most kids under twenty have never even seen an actual switchboard. Guess it would be considered ancient history to most of them. I'll bet many haven't even had to find and use a pay phone either! Many memories for some of us tied up in those things, ya know?

Coffee out on the patio this morning!

7 comments:

Chickenmom said...

Most kids today have no idea what a rotary phone looks like. Just imagine if they had to use a party line!

Dizzy-Dick said...

Oh yes, I remember the "one ringy-dingy, two ringy-dingy gal. And I also remember having to tell an operator what number you want, like my Grandma lived in the Lakeview area code area of Pennsylvania. I remember you had to ask an operator for Lakeview 6-2129 and later we could just dial 1-526-2129. Now, I believe that area has an area code of 814. OK, now I got myself all confused. . .

JO said...

I can just imagine the mess those kids would cause. I've seen some of those switch boards there quite interesting but I sure wouldn't want to have to be the operator of one. I sure do remember ringy a dingy Beautiful morning for sitting out

HermitJim said...

Hey Phyllis...
It would be interesting if the kids of today had to use the old system. It would make for an interesting video!
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Dizzy...
Easy to get confused by all the changes in area codes back then. If you are confused, think of what it must have been for the operators.
Thanks for coming by today!


Hey Jo...
Sort of like putting the lunatics in charge of the asylum, I reckon!
Thanks, sweetie, for dropping by today!

Sixbears said...



When I was a little kid my mom worked as a telephone operator. I remember seeing the big switchboards and wondered how she kept everything straight. I actually miss payphones. . . but I'm sure why anymore.

HermitJim said...

Hey Sixbears...
Seems pretty impressive when you're young.
Payphones would come in handy in some areas now days.
Thanks for stopping by today!

Hermit's Baby Sis said...

As a receptionist, I receive and field calls all day long, but now do it with VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol). That means I answer calls by computer. When I was changed to this system, it sounded really scary and confusing, but now it the easiest system I have ever used. Gotta train someone on it today - takes about 10 minutes. Answering the queries that come up for the business - that takes about 4+ hours ... long day today.
Big hugs ~