Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Taking On The Traits Of Donors...!

Sometimes the organs trhat are from donors are all that saves a persons lives.

There seems to be a few times when more than just organs are given. Sometimes the recipients take on some of the cravings and habits of the donors.

Jamie Sherman Awakes From Transplant Feeling Rage And Anger

Tucson, Arizona

Jamie Sherman had underwent several heart surgeries by the time she had a heart transplant at the age of 24. She’d suffered from a heart defect since birth. When she awoke following the successful procedure, she felt a deep sense of anger, so much so that she wanted to fight, although she didn’t know why. She also began to have cravings for Mexican food, especially cheese enchiladas, something that she hadn’t craved before.

Six months following the transplant, Jamie was able to meet the family of her donor, a 29-year-old man named Scott Phillips. She quickly mentioned her cravings and liking for Mexican foods, and she wasn’t too surprised to hear that Scott’s favorite food was Mexican, and he particularly liked cheese enchiladas.

When Jamie found out that Scott had died in a fight at a sports bar after being hit in the head and suffering major brain trauma, she felt that she now understood where her sudden feelings of anger came from. She theorized that he felt anger and rage in the seconds before he was hit and consequently died, and these feelings were locked in his heart when it was transplanted to her.

I would hate to think that my last emotions, like hate or rage, would be handed over to another person to have to deal with. Pretty sad to think about, if it really happens !

Coffee out on the patio this morning. Gonna be another hot one today !

9 comments:

Caddie said...

This happens. Daughter, after transplant of kidney and pancreas, experienced many changes - food and mental wise. It's been a hard road (though filled with gratitude) for the whole family. Research and you will find many stories about this occurring.

Gorges Smythe said...

I've heard similar things. Apparently, things must be felt right down to the cellular level!

Chickenmom said...

Wonder what ever happened to that man that receied a whole face transplant.

linda m said...

I sure hope this doesn't really happen. Just in case I should ever need a transplant ya' know. I don't need someone else's "feelings" as I have enough of my own to cope with.

Hermit's Baby Sis said...

Bubba -
As I intend to leave as much of myself as is usable, this is an interesting dilemma.
Will my eye recipient appreciate the gift of Nature's colors? Will my kidney recipient have the urge to wait that I always do? Will my heart recipient always feel slightly inadequate and shy? Another reason perhaps for us as the living to be ready at any moment, glorifying God and maintaining good thoughts, eh?
Thanks for the edifying post ~ Big Hugs

HermitJim said...

Hey Caddie...
I can only imagine what kind of difficulties the family and patient would have to endure. Like being with another person.
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Gorges...
That's kinda what I'm thinking.
Thanks for coming by today !


Hey Phyllis...
Let's hope he didn't experience any of this.
Thanks for the visit this morning !


Hey Linda M...
Could be a tricky thing to get used to.
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Sis...
All good questions, for which I have no answer!
I'll send the pictures you wanted just as soon as I figure out how.
Thanks for coming by today!

JO said...

Funny I never heard this story. Makes you wonder since I live here and know a few heart transplant people.

Plenty hot here too, but right now it isn't to bad so taking advantage of it for at least another hour.

Dizzy-Dick said...

I would think that our personalities would filter down to every cell in our bodies. Seems like it happened in this case.

Sixbears said...

I don't think I'm going to be scrapped for parts. Been using them up myself. You don't replace an engine with one that's already had 200,000 miles on it. :)