Saturday, February 23, 2019

To Help You Stay Warm...!

Here from history is a bit of a fashion tip for those living in colder areas. I'm not sure how practical is really is, but I reckon the only way to tell is to try it!

Greenlandic Seal Fur Thongs



Photo credit: atlasobscura.com

Mostly, clothes have become skimpier throughout history. But the modern thong is a surprisingly old innovation that Greenlandic Inuits have been rocking for several hundred years.

The naatsit is a traditional G-string-like undergarment made of seal fur, chosen for its durability and not-too-hot and not-too-cold level of insulation. It’s stitched together with reindeer or whale sinews and made fashionable with decorative beads or the head of the seal attached to the codpiece.

Men and women both wore the undergarment. They might conceal it beneath a thicker pair of seal fur trousers or just sport the naatsit itself when chilling about the house, much to the shock of visiting Danish missionaries.

I'm just guessing here, but these must have been comfortable. Not sure about how warm they were, though.

Coffee in the kitchen this morning.

8 comments:

Sixbears said...

It doesn't matter if you freeze -as long as you look fashionable. Unless you are me. I'm wearing my fleece socks on this 3 degree morning. The coffee is on the woodstove and all will be well soon.

Rob said...

I like the bead work...

HermitJim said...

Hey Sixbears...
Gotta keep those feet warm, for sure.
Thanks for coming by this morning!


Hey Rob...
I wonder if the bead work is uncomfortable next to the skin? Seems like it would be.
Thanks for stopping by today!

JO said...

Well I always wondered what they used for underwear now I know. Fancy too

Sun is shining this morning but man is it cold. Icy puddles
Coffee in the kitchen is fine with me

Dizzy-Dick said...

I would think those hangy-down thin strips of leather would tickle your legs.

Mamahen said...

I don't see me wearing this unless well covered by other clothing, and trust me, no one else wants to see it either. lol...44 and raining here so the kitchen is great:))

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
Just never know what you might learn here at the Hermit's place, right?
Thanks, dear, for dropping by today!


Hey Dizzy...
Seems like they would, doesn't it?
Thanks for the visit today!


Hey Mamahen...
Likewise for me! I would want plenty of other clothes on top of this outfit.
Thanks for stopping by today!

linda m said...

Looks like something I should get my hubby to wear in this freezing WI weather.