Thursday, April 4, 2019

What Would We Do Without It...?

Now here is a product that I know we all have used at one time or another...Scotch Tape. However, did you ever wonder how it was invented? Here's the scoop on that from Listverse.

3M



A conglomerate corporation owning popular adhesive products such as Post-It Notes and Scotch Tape, 3M didn’t see much success in its early years. It started off as five men setting up the Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company, or 3M for short. They began work at Crystal Bay in the 1900s to mine corundum, a mineral rumored to be very tough. Instead, they discovered it was a very soft mineral with weak abrasive properties.

With not much more to lose, 3M went into supporting experimental products by adopting the mantra “listen to anybody with an idea.” They made a breakthrough with Scotch tape in 1923 after hearing the woes of a car engineer who wanted a tape that didn’t react with paint on a car. Along with other creative inventions, 3M slowly built into the company we know of today.

I wish I knew just how many miles of this tape I've used over the years wrapping gifts. More than I can imagine, I'd bet!

Coffee out on the patio again today!

7 comments:

linda m said...

I can't even imagine how much scotch tape I have used over the years. It is mind blowing.

Mamahen said...

Another one of those things you just never think about, but a would guess everyone has a least one roll around their house:))

Sixbears said...

I'm a big fan of scotch . . . . . . . . . . . . . . tape.

Fresh snow on the ground this morning. Coffee on the woodstove. Spring just a rumor.

Rob said...

3M, didn't work out on the initial venture but they took a chance and look where they are today.
Neat story!

I just looked, we have three rolls of scotch tape here and none are labeled 3M, I found some post-it notes too, I'll bet they are generic... I'd go look at the band-aid or tissue supply but who wants more bad news about trade mark name misuse? I'm sure it's not the Velcro people!
:-)
I guess it's not that bad, 3M (MMM) is trading at $213.13!

HermitJim said...

Hey Linda...
It does sort of boggle the mind, doesn't it?
Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Mamahen...
You are probably right about that. At least nearly everyone has some around.
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Sixbears...
I'm starting to think you're right about the rumor part.
Thanks for the visit today!


Hey Rob...
They say imitation is the greatest sign of success and a real complement.
Thanks for coming by today!

JO said...

Something you don't give much thought to is scotchtape. I have rolls until my one of my kids shows up to use it and then never fails they seem to leave with it. Have or had a 3M factory here in the complex I use to work.

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
It does seem to be one of those things that somehow grows legs and disappears.
Thanks, dear, for dropping by this morning!