Monday, April 7, 2008

Grandma King's Pinto Bean Pie...

I know, I know...it sounds pretty weird to all you city dwellers and maybe even some country folks as well. However, I think you'll find that this pie is really quite good! Sort of a cross between chocolate and sweet potato pie!

I remember as a kid, I was sort of skeptical of it when Grandma told me the ingredients. However, she had always made really cool desserts so I tried it...and fell in love with it! I hope you try it!


1 1/2 c. bean pulp
3/4 c. sugar
3 eggs
1/2 c. milk
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves or spices of your choice
1/2 tsp vanilla
Unbaked pie shell

The easiest way I've found to prepare the beans is to cook them in the usual manner and use the leftovers. Don't be afraid to use the pulp of beans which have been seasoned (even chili powder doesn't hurt the flavor of the pie). Pour about 2/3 cup of beans at a time and juice on a plate; and mash well with a fork. Run through a fine wire strainer or sieve (I use a large tea strainer). This removes all hulls and leaves only a smooth pulp.
Beat eggs well; add sugar a little at a time. Mix thoroughly. Add spices, milk, vanilla, and bean pulp. Mix well and pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour: check to see if pie is well set. Serve pie warm or chilled with whipped cream (or cool whip...).

Now this is great with any beverage of your choice...cold milk, tea, or COFFEE!!! Man, my mouth is watering! How about you...?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brother -
Have not thought of this one in years, although I often use it when asked to contribute a recipe for someone else's book. Think I'll try it on Rod - he's never had this one (at least to HIS knowledge!) Love you, and your site. Gets my mornings going!

HermitJim said...

Sis...Thanks for the comments and for dropping by!Funny how we live in the same city and yet mostly visit on the net...! Sign of the times, I guess.Let me know how the pie turns out..ok?
Bubba a.k.a.
HermitJim

Quilt Architect said...

Today I am going to bake this pie for my son who just turned 16. It is kinda a joke. One day I was making pie with my daughter and we were baking the pie shell...I put pinto beans in the shell to keep it from puffing up. He came in when the shell was cooling and saw the pinto beans. Knowing how I like to cook beans and put them in everything he exclaimed, "Oh no you don't, your not going to put these beans in our pie." and he dumped them out. Today the joke is on him.
Thanks for the recipe ....I will write back and tell you what kind of review it got.

HermitJim said...

Hey SA...thanks, I would appreciate that! I'll bet he doesn't even know that the main ingrediant is beans!

The look on his face will be priceless!

Thanks for coming by!

Quilt Architect said...

Hi, I made the pie....was hurrying so fast so that no one would come in on me at the critical moment of mashing the beans ...that I for got the milk...I don't think that really made much difference but will have to try again. Anyway we thought it was a little too sweet...but we couldn't tell there were any beans in it. My son ate his whole piece. I had a little bite this morning and think it taste better if it sits a day. Definitely worth trying.

Have you had a vinegar pie?? I think I will post that at my blog and you can try that recipe...I will link to your recipe and maybe we can get a chain of wacky recipes started.