Monday, April 14, 2008

Texas Hot Tamale Pie

This was one of my Daddy's recipes. My Dad was a hard working man... a long haul trucker. Being a trucker, he had a fondness for good food. Being from Texas, he had a taste for the type of dish that today would be classified as "Tex-Mex", but in his time it was just simple Texas home cooking. He brought this recipe home to my Mother after one of his trips, and it's been in the family cook book ever since. Enjoy...!

2 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1/2 cup cooking oil
1 tsp. black pepper
salt to taste
1 can cream style corn
1 can skinned tomatoes
1 small can ripe olives
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 cup corn meal
2 eggs, well beaten
1 cup milk
2 Tbsp.chili powder
1 can chopped pimentos

Cook meat lightly in oil. Add salt and pepper, then add corn, tomatos, and chopped olives. Cook for 15 minutes on low heat. Mix all other ingredients into meat mixture and pour into large casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

This recipe is in memory of James Lowell King who passed away in 1969. My Father, my friend, and my hero.




2 comments:

blondie said...

Ok am all caught up on my reading now.

That recipe sounds really good!
I'm glad your Father brought it home to Mom, lol

Will let you know when I try it out!
Thanks :))

HermitJim said...

A little story behind that recipes...Dad was on a long haul trip when he heard this recipe on the radio. While he was driving, he was also jotting down the recipe to take home. When he got home he said "Here Ma...try this!"

Mom wanted me to be sure and include that in this post somewhere! Thanks for giving me the perfect opportunity to do just that!

BTW, Google has a whopping 169,000 listings for Tamale Pie...can you believe it?

Jim