Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Handy Bit Of Information...!

A friend of mine in New Zealand, who is a nurse, sent me this list and I thought you might find it interesting...

Apples ...
Protects your heart, prevents constipation, blocks diarrhea, improves lung capacity, cushions
joints .

Apricots...
Combats cancer. Controls blood pressure. Saves your eyesight. Shields against Alzheimer's. Slows aging process.

Artichokes...
Aids digestion. Lowers cholesterol. Protects your heart. Stabilizes blood sugar. Guards against liver disease..

Avocados ...
Battles diabetes . Lowers cholesterol. Helps stops strokes. Controls blood pressure. Smoothes skin.

Bananas...
Protects your heart. Quiets a cough . Strengthens bones. Controls blood pressure. Blocks diarrhea.

Beans...
Prevents constipation. Helps hemorrhoids. Lowers cholesterol. Combats cancer. Stabilizes blood sugar.

Beets...
Controls blood pressure. Combats cancer. Strengthens bones. Protects your heart. Aids weight loss.

Blueberries...
Combats cancer. Protects your heart. Stabilizes blood sugar. Boosts memory. Prevents constipation.

Broccoli...
Strengthens bones. Saves eyesight. Combats cancer. Protects your heart. Controls blood pressure.

Cabbage...
Combats cancer. Prevents constipation. Promotes weight loss. Protects your heart. Helps hemorrhoids.

Cantaloupe...
Saves eyesight. Controls blood pressure. Lowers cholesterol. Combats cancer. Supports immune system.

Carrots...
Saves eyesight. Protects your heart. Prevents constipation. Combats cancer. Promotes weight loss.

Cauliflower...
Protects against Prostate Cancer. Combats Breast Cancer. Strengthens bones. Banishes bruises. Guards against heart disease.

Cherries...
Protects your heart. Combats Cancer. Ends insomnia. Slows aging process. Shields against Alzheimer's.

Chestnuts...
Promotes weight loss Protects your heart Lowers cholesterol Combats Cancer Controls blood pressure

Chili peppers...
Aids digestion. Soothes sore throat. Clears sinuses. Combats Cancer. Boosts immune system.

Figs...
Promotes weight loss. Helps stops strokes. Lowers cholesterol. Combats Cancer. Controls blood pressure.

Fish...
Protects your heart. Boosts memory. Protects your heart. Combats Cancer. Supports immune system.

Flax...
Aids digestion. Battles diabetes. Protects your heart. Improves mental health. Boosts immune system.

Garlic...
Lowers cholesterol. Controls blood pressure. Combats cancer. Kills bacteria. Fights fungus

Grapefruit...
Protects against heart attacks. Promotes Weight loss. Helps stops strokes. Combats Prostate Cancer. Lowers cholesterol.

Grapes...
saves eyesight. Conquers kidney stones. Combats cancer. Enhances blood flow. Protects your heart.

Green tea...
Combats cancer. Protects your heart. Helps stops strokes. Promotes Weight loss. Kills bacteria

Honey...
Heals wounds. Aids digestion. Guards against ulcers. Increases energy. Fights allergies.

Lemons...
Combats cancer. Protects your heart. Controls blood pressure. Smoothes skin. Stops scurvy.

Limes...
Combats cancer. Protects your heart. Controls blood pressure. Smoothes skin. Stops scurvy.

Mangoes...
Combats cancer. Boosts memory. Regulates thyroid. Aids digestion. Shields against Alzheimer's .

Mushrooms...
Controls blood pressure. Lowers cholesterol. Kills bacteria. Combats cancer. Strengthens bones.

Oats...
Lowers cholesterol. Combats cancer. Battles diabetes. Prevents constipation. Smoothes skin.

Olive oil...
Protects your heart. Promotes Weight loss. Combats cancer. Battles diabetes. Smoothes skin.

Onions...
Reduce risk of heart attack. Combats cancer. Kills bacteria. Lowers cholesterol. Fights fungus.

Oranges...
Supports immune systems. Combats cancer. Protects your heart. Straightens respiration.

Peaches...
prevents constipation. Combats cancer. Helps stops strokes. Aids digestion. Helps hemorrhoids.

Peanuts...
Protects against heart disease. Promotes Weight loss. Combats Prostate Cancer. Lowers cholesterol. Aggravates Diverticulitis.

Pineapple...
Strengthens bones. Relieves colds. Aids digestion. Dissolves warts. Blocks diarrhea.

Prunes...
Slows aging process. Prevents constipation. Boosts memory. Lowers cholesterol. Protects against heart disease.

Rice...
Protects your heart. Battles diabetes. Conquers kidney stones. Combats cancer. Helps stops strokes.

Strawberries...
Combats cancer. Protects your heart. Boosts memory. Calms stress.

Sweet potatoes...
Saves your eyesight. Lifts mood. Combats cancer. Strengthens bones.

Tomatoes...
Protects prostate. Combats cancer. Lowers cholesterol. Protects your heart.

Walnuts...
Lowers cholesterol. Combats cancer. Boosts memory. Lifts mood. Protects against heart disease.

Water...
Promotes Weight loss. Combats cancer. Conquers kidney stones. Smoothes skin.

Watermelon...
Protects prostate. Promotes Weight loss. Lowers cholesterol. Helps stops strokes. Controls blood pressure.

Wheat germ...
Combats Colon Cancer. Prevents constipation. Lowers cholesterol. Helps stops strokes. Improves digestion.

Wheat bran...
Combats Colon Cancer. Prevents constipation. Lowers cholesterol. Helps stops strokes. Improves digestion.

Yogurt...
Guards against ulcers. Strengthens bones. Lowers cholesterol. Supports immune systems. Aids digestion.

Well, there ya go! Just a few more reasons to eat your veggies...man, now I'm HUNGRY!!

Let's go and get a fresh cup of coffee, my friend!

24 comments:

wendigo said...

Jim, Thanks for the great info,but I draw the line on the Prune's.

TEAM HALL said...

Well rats, Jim! I didn't see coffee anywhere on that list! hehe Or a great slice of pie either!
You have a wonderful day...oh and if you can't make up your mind which property to go live on, we'd love to have you in Canada! With all the red tape though, you'd probably be best to marry a canuck! lol

Anonymous said...

Great info, lot of work by you to post it. Thanks
PS: Forget the Yogurt

FarmerGeek said...

Great post. Just beware that the yogurt can bother allergies.

Thanks for the info, Hermit!

Albert A Rasch said...

Great post Mr. Hermit!

Healthy eating goes along way in keeping you fit and lively.

Regards,
Albert A Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles
Proud Member of Outdoor Bloggers Summit
Southeast Regional OBS Coordinator

Stephanie in AR said...

Sounds like a homestead chore list doesn't it?

For coffee: The latest research has not only confirmed that moderate coffee consumption doesn't cause harm, it's also uncovered possible benefits. Coffee may reduce the risk of developing gallstones, discourage the development of colon cancer, improve cognitive function, reduce the risk of liver damage in people at high risk for liver disease, and reduce the risk of Parkinson's disease. Coffee has also been shown to improve endurance performance in long-duration physical activities.

Source: Harvard Health Publications, Harvard Medical School, 2006.

The amount that is safe to drink - they are finding it depends on how the coffee was prepared. European style or American makes a big difference but I don't remember the difference. Just generally you can drink more American style than European.

OT but what is going on with Mayberry's blog. I'm not on blogspot so cannot seem to find what the error message means. Can you or one of your other readers? Hope he didn't cross anyone.

Stephanie in AR said...

Never mind seems the problems been fixed.

Patricia said...

Good post, Hermit. Basic message: eat lots of fruits and vegetables, raw or lightly cooked. Onwards,
HM

Marie said...

Thanks for all the info--on some of these I had no idea. I'm just wondering if they lose their effectiveness once they've been put in storage form (canned, dried, etc.)...some of these would not be so easy to get fresh around here in hard times, or to grow in the garden...great post.

HermitJim said...

Hey Wendigo...yeah, the prunes are NOT on everyones prefered list. Thnaks for the visit...


Hey Cath...I'm putting coffee on MY list, if for no other reason than I don't want a bunch of really grouchy people, who haven't had their coffee and have ready access to fire arms running around the neighborhood...know what I mean?

Thanks for the visit...


Hey Tony...I can't get used to the whole yogurt thing myself...never could! You have a good day!


Hey FG...glad to know that I have a legit reason NOT to eat yogurt! I was afraid I would have to start!

Thanks for the visit!


Hey Albert...important to stay as healthy as possible with all that's in the works right now. We each must take responsibility for keeping ourself fit. I appreciate the visit, my friend.


Hey Stephanie...glasd you could find the information about coffee! I should have looked it up, but I didn't. I knew I could count on you!

Thanks for coming by!


Hey Patricia...I think that about says it all! Makes since to me...guess Mom was right all those years ago with the message "Eat your vegetables" , huh?

Thanks for popping in!


Hey Marie...I'm thinking that home canned or freeze dried/dehydrated would still have a lot of the same properties! At least, I hope so!

Glad you could come by today!

It's me said...

I had to disregard this list as I could not take it seriously as I did not see GIN listed. How could you have missed it???? ;)

(Thanks btw... good scoop)

Felinae said...

Thanks for all the great info. A couple of these I knew about, most I did not. If you don't mind, I'd like to pass it along to a couple of friends of mine.:) I will pass on the figs though, I'm allergic to them, but I'd love to share a cup of coffee with you.

Have a great day!

Smiles~Felinae~

HermitJim said...

Hey Meadowlark...some things like coffe and Gin just have to be on the list, even if they are NOT "on the list", ya know?

Thanks for coming by!


Hey Felinae...I say spread the word! Oh, amd by the way...I'm real strong on figs myself!

Thanks for the visit!

xox-Missi Mi-xox said...

The best part of this list I now know to avoid apricots, cherries and mangoes then I will have a better chance at not remembering if I have any of the other awful health problems :-P ....

Great post Jim .... I heard somewhere that an apple in the morning gives you more energy than coffee ... I tried it and not convinced ,.... I still wasnt right until I had my coffee fix ....

stay well my friend
xox-Missi-xox

HermitJim said...

Hey Pretty Lady...good to see ya! Yep, I know what you mean about the coffee...apples are good, but coffee is necessary for the Hermit first thing in the morning!

Thanks so much for coming by!

Mayberry said...

Next time won't you sing with me.... Good list!

HermitJim said...

Hey Mayberry...glad yopu liked the list! Thanks for stopping in today...

Anonymous said...

Good list! I'd like to reiterate the medicinal benefits of garlic in particular. It has been used throughout the Milena for everything from keeping wounds clean to repealing mosquitos

HermitJim said...

Hey Kookster...I hear ya on the garlic, my friend. One of the miracle plants, if you ask me!

Plus it just adds so much flavor to everything...

Anonymous said...

Great List, ad I defiantly agree with you guys on the garlic..... We put it in everything

HermitJim said...

Nice to find something that's good for you and taste good to boot!

Has a lot of healing properties, so I've heard...

Thanks for stopping in today!

LarryB said...

Yeper HermitJim, she's a fine and accurate list of "Power Foods" you've put together here for us all! I'm gonna add a link to it to one of my little blogs too. :-)

Cheers!

LarryB

HermitJim said...

Hey Larry... certainly feel free to spread the word! I fell that many of the health problems we face as a nation today is directly linked to what we eat, or DON'T eat!

Hey, I appreciate you dropping by!

Grandpa Eddie said...

Thought I'd best come back and read this, seein' as how I sent the link to my wife and my brother.

I can see now why cancer is runnin' amok in this country, not many people eat like that anymore...all frozen or pre-made stuff.

BTW, our friend coffee has anti-oxidants in it. Time for 'nother cup. Drink up my friend.